Forsythia - looking for some advice

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2

Forsythia - looking for some advice

Post by her0d »

Hey folks!

I recently picked up a small forsythia plant that needs some fattening up. I know that if they are potted, their roots need trimming every year and that their suckers need cutting back. Does anyone have an experience with forsythia?
I could always plant it in the ground and wait 2-3 years. Will post a photo of it later tonight, it has three even trunks coming from the base... to chop or not?

Cheers,
Jack
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Forsythia - looking for some advice

Post by her0d »

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have a little limited experience with this species. I find the growth taperless and usually quite straight which is not good for bonsai but if you do some pruning you can induce a bit of movement and taper into the trunks. I've just let mine grow in the pots for a couple of years then cut back all the suckers and straight bits and I've now got a couple of reasonable small trunks. These will only ever look good when flowering with no leaves so I have not really worried about ramification, just an interesting small trunk to hang flowers on.
Strikes cuttings very easily so when you prune stick the offcuts in to get a couple more and do some experimenting.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

In Japan they handle these by ground growing for a few years. Don't worry about multiple trunks or anything like that. They just let the growth rocket away for the whole season the cut back every thing to the first set of buds and keep repeating that until you have something to work with. They then end up with a thick well tapered multi trunk thing with loads of possibilities. They won't thicken in a pot. Mine is over 25 years old and only as thick as your thumb.
Last edited by treeman on October 27th, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by her0d »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll probably put it in my veggie garden soon.
Treeman, has your forsythia been growing for the most part as a single trunk specimen? I would have thought after 25 years it would be thicker.

Return to “Deciduous”