Propagating deciduous trees in December

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2

Propagating deciduous trees in December

Post by her0d »

Hello folks,
Has anyone had any success in propagating maples or other deciduous trees from cuttings at this time of year?
I've read a few articles saying that some people propagate in winter-early spring and others say at the beginning of summer.

Thanks!
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coral Bark Maple

Re: Propagating deciduous trees in December

Post by anthonycocco »

Hi,

I had also read fair few articles that stated propagation of deciduous trees by semi hardwood cuttings in early summer was recommended, so i started about 20 each of the trimmings from my japanese maples (an elegans, coral bark and an ever red) and my buxus, as well as some golden elm and cherry from friends.

All were a mix of softwood, semi hardwood and hardwood cuttings, dipped in rooting gel and placed in long fibre sphagnum moss kept moist. All leaves were cut in half to reduce transpiration.

Unfortunately i think these articles base their summer recommendation on colder climates than here. Around the time i started (about 3-4 weeks ago) Melbourne had 10 straight days above 28 degrees with many in the mid 30s. Nearly all the maples went very quickly as well as nearly all the softwoods in all varieties. Some leaves on even the hardwoods got a bit burnt on the edges.

The hardwood cuttings of the elm and cherry did have some success, they are now growing new leaves, the buxus have about half looking still green so i think they will succeed too based on my past experience.

MY recommendation based on melbourne summers would be wait until it starts cooling down, towards the end of summer or start of autumn (leaf fall on my deciduous here is quite late due to the heat). You can use plastic wrap or bags over the top to increase humidity but be wary that in high heat it will turn into a hotbox.

Alternately go now but use good size hardwood cuttings, use rooting gel and the long fibre sphagnum moss (available from nurseries or bunnings as a 45L dehydrated brick), keep them inside on a windowsill or under a shaded verandah and moisten the moss and mist the leaves very frequently.

My two cents based on this years attempt at summer cuttings anyway. I have had much higher success rates in general using cuttings just before bud burst at the beginning of spring with the same method (hormone + sphagnum). You must also note that maples, in particular red leaved varieties, are notoriously difficult to strike even in good conditions.

Cheers,

Anthony
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum

Post by her0d »

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for the very informative response, this is why I am starting these forums!
I'll give it a try with some trident maple cuttings especially with the sphagnum moss. It has already worked well with some bougainvillea cuttings that seem to be doing well a few weeks ago.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Very useful information Anthony thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I don't do well with maple cuttings at any time of year but propagate lots of other deciduous plants. Late spring and early summer is a great time for most provided you can maintain high humidity. You'll need an automatic misting system or keep the cuttings in a sealed clear container - simplest is plastic bag over the pot of cuttings, cut off plastic drink bottles or put the pots into a plastic storage tub with the top on.
You should be able to strike cuttings at any time of year with the correct conditions. I agree with Anthony that early spring and later in summer are also good times, especially if you don't have the best setup.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”