Larch in Sydney?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 2

Larch in Sydney?

Post by MountainFrost »

I have recently fell in love with the tree species larch. I really don't know a thing about larch, however I have noticed that at the several Sydney bonsai nurseries, they don't seem to be selling any :lost: . What I want to know is, is it possible to grow larch in Sydney? Or are they unsuitable to our climate. Thanks
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Larch in Sydney?

Post by Watto »

Sydney will be too hot for larch. They like a very cold winter and a cool summer. Even Canberra is too hot for all larch except the Japanese Larch which is only OK there.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I think you'll find Sydney too mild a climate for Larch. I had a quick look at the wiki and here is an excerpt which might help explain the lack of Larch in your local nurseries ....

"Larch need to have winter dormancy of at least 2 months or more and prefer cool climates as a rule, but cold winters are a must. Protect needles from scorching in summer, if it is so warm that you have to leave Larch under shade cloth for the whole of the growing season to protect their leaves, then don't grow them. Tasmania, Southern Victoria, Ballarat and surrounds, ACT, Mountain areas and Tablelands of NSW (eg. Orange) are ideal, Northeast Victoria are fine with some caution in summer."

Do a search for Larch in the Wiki to find out more.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

A conifer that loses leaves in winter to show bare bones, Good ramification, Absolutely beautiful lime green new shoots in spring. Larch are very desirable as bonsai but, as mentioned a little demanding of conditions. Even here in the hills of North East Vic where we get regular temps well below freezing in winter growers have had European larch trees suddenly die in summer.
It is always worth a trial to check first hand whether the theory is correct but I fear the others are right about it being just a bit too warm in winter for them to stay healthy.

Interesting to hear that Japanese larch appears to be more tolerant Watto. Maybe something to look into.....
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I grow both Japanese and European Larch here in Canberra with no problem but the Japanese Larch is the better, more vigorous of the 2. They both like water in spring and very cold winters.

At Yerrinbool ( half way between Canberra and Sydney) both species died. The European Larch within 2 years and the Japanese Larch within about 4 years. Even at 500 mtrs altitude with cool winters it was not enough for the Larch.

Forget about Larch and Beech for Sydney climate.

Cheers,

Grant
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MountainFrost »

Can’t say i’m surprised, but it is disappointed. I guess I’ll just have to enjoy photos of them. Thanks for the replies!
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Could be a tad warm for them today,got to 45 on my back deck and 53 in my orchid shadehouse so the larches could be cactus in Sydney. with weather like this . :whistle:
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
Swampie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Native
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Swampie »

Hi All
I haven't been a member on this forum for very long and only been working with bonsais for about 4 years so I'm strictly a novice. I really enjoy the vast knowledge that is shared by the members and especially the more experienced members who give of their time and knowledge so freely. This post has touched on a subject I have been experimenting with for the last couple of years, growing trees which just aren't suitable to the climate in which they find themselves. I live in the mid area of the Hunter Valley and the temperature here today was 48o in the shade and the humidity was somewhere off the scale. I got out of bed this morning went out the back and watered my trees and then came back inside turned on the A/C and stayed inside all day until 7:00pm tonight when I watered the trees again. The trees have not shown any great signs of stress (so far) this summer, among the trees are 2 Japanese Larch, a Copper Beech tree, a Korean Silver Fir tree, a Weeping Serbian Spruce and a Japanese Red Cedar. None of these trees are suitable to the climate here. Time will tell whether they survive or not but at the moment I'm quite hopeful as they have been here for over a year, they haven't taken off like they are on diabolical steroids but they are certainly holding there own at present and have put on some growth. I'm probably over optimistic but my theory is if you can keep the tree alive long enough it will possibly adapt to its surroundings. I hope I don't wind up with egg on my face now and have to post that all of these trees didn't make it through another summer.
Cheers
Swampie
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MountainFrost »

Thats really interesting Swampie. I might see if I can at least try something like that.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

As I said above, sometimes you just need to ignore the 'widom' and try things out.
Speaking of swampie - maybe an alternative to larch for those in warmer areas swamp cypress and Dawn redwood are 2 more deciduous conifers that have similar characteristics but much more tolerant.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

My Japanese Larch does very well in the Victorian Central highlands. The key is dormancy and being VERY cold. Correct timing on repotting keeps them happy also. My tree's have suffered 40 plus weather quite a lot in full sun and are happy enough. I also err on the side of caution and overpot the trees. Japan gets very hot days and the Larch are garden trees there so i cannot see heat being a problem, dormancy is though and the length of dormancy.
Last edited by bodhidharma on January 8th, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Swampie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Native
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Swampie »

Hi Shibui, you are absolutely on the money about growing Swampies in this area, I have 3 or 4 in various sizes and I almost have to get out the whipper snipper each fortnight to try and keep them under control as well as topping up their water trays once or twice every day through summer. I have a couple of Rainbow Gum trees also and they down the water faster than Bob Hawke gets through a beer at the cricket. On the subject of appropriate trees for the climate I have just taken possession of a Huon Pine & Tasmanian Snow Gum starter plant from a nursery in Tasmania so that will be an interesting experiment to try and keep them alive as this summer looks like an absolute scorcher up here.
Cheers
Swampie
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MountainFrost »

During my recent visit to Ray Nesci, I managed to find a few larch (looking quite weak). I bought one, I guess I'll see how it goes where I am. :fc:

Return to “Deciduous”