The poodle elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

The poodle elm

Post by bonborn »

I've decided to start a new thread specifically for this elm.

I call it the poodle because it's turning into one and I am not sure how to correct it. Ramification has always been my weakness. I just don't get the concept.

This elm doesn't like to backbud and grafts swell up and fail. Somehow it was my lucky day and it managed to put out one bud on the right side and that's it. The back and left side of the main trunk is deadwood so won't be getting anything there.

I am happy to work with it. How to I give it more of a filled up look. Can I have secondary branches growing up from another secondary branch. ImageImage

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: The poodle elm

Post by Boics »

Hello Bonborn.

With some close consideration and a bit of imagination I think you could find some suitable graft locations.
I suspect that (based on the image presented) your major issue is viable cambium and union with the graft stock.

If you can locate points that when scratched present nice rich green live cambium then this is where you need to focus.
Try looking towards some of the newer areas as opposed to the aged, rugged and in some cases dead trunk/bark.

What type of grafts are you trying?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

Unfortunately left side is the problem. That's all dead wood so not possible to graft. I did some thread grafting from the left towards the right side and though the graft thickened well on that side it swells up at the joining side but doesn't merge with the live cambium. It then dies when you cut off the original branch.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

The poodle elm

Post by Beano »

There’s a few poodles at my house too...
Last edited by Beano on January 11th, 2018, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Beano wrote:There’s a few poodles at my house too...
Me too - I've just let mine grow out a fair bit, so I'm hoping it's becoming a little less obvious. :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

bonborn wrote:I've decided to start a new thread specifically for this elm.

I call it the poodle because it's turning into one and I am not sure how to correct it. Ramification has always been my weakness. I just don't get the concept.

This elm doesn't like to backbud and grafts swell up and fail. How to I give it more of a filled up look.
Bonborn, if this tree were mine I would stop pinching or trimming any of the shoots that it now produces. I'm surprised it wont backbud for you, but you may be trimming / pinching back too much?
Let ALL shoots & branches grow long too achieve some bulk & extension.
The topiary "poodle like" foliage pads happen quite quickly on C.Elms as they tend to grow like hedging material. Especially when continuous trimming / pinching is done to the very tips of growth only.
Once you build up bulk, completely remove all disobedient branches from the foliage pads (any awkward or inward growing, upward etc) and any adventitious shoots from crutch or inner fork areas.
Concentrating on obtaining a more linear foliage pad that "feathers out" at the ends, rather than clipped all over.

Personally, I think your tree displays a great aged & weather beaten trunk. Having a more sparse foliage mass, may actually be more convincing (design wise) than trying to obtain a "full head of hair" by adding branch grafts to try & fill in spaces. I would think you could achieve an effective design utilising what foliage areas you already have - by feeding well, having some restraint in trimming/ pinching & just letting the tree grow freely for a fair while.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

All leaves fallen off. Image

Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

bonborn wrote:All leaves fallen off. Image

Looks like you are beating yourself up mate that tree looks really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
loyskirineba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Love all of them

Post by loyskirineba »

It's got a nice trunk mate so my suggestion is to grow the foliage for a whole season and trim and shape it next winter... keep doing this until you get the desired shape/ silhouette :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”
― Aristotle
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

loyskirineba wrote:It's got a nice trunk mate so my suggestion is to grow the foliage for a whole season and trim and shape it next winter... keep doing this until you get the desired shape/ silhouette :yes:
Thanks mate. I think thats where i was heading as well. Just hopeless at putting it on paper.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

Bit of a blow with this one. The lower branch on the left is now dead. The top of the elm has leafed up well but the lower branch is still dead and slowly the cambium is turning brown. Unfortunately the ants have made their way inside the dead wood into the crevices. Is there anything I can use to fill all the little crevices. I've soaked the entire tree with it's pot in water to try and drown out the ants.

Return to “Deciduous”