Gold cup Azalea

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Gold cup Azalea

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

Hello, Everyone! I’m new in bonsai and i bought this tree from rey nesci nursery on weekend. Just wondering when is the best time to repot this tree and if i can used medium soil mix of pumice. Expandable clay and lava rock?

Thank you and god bless us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Gold cup Azalea

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Eddy,
Sad to say it, but that plant does not look very healthy. :shake: If it were mine I would very carefully tease out the roots a little as it looks to be on the verge of becoming pot-bound too. Then just slip-pot it into a slightly larger pot with a good quality potting mix and add some Osmocote slow release general pupose fertilizer as well as fertilizing every 2 weeks with a liquid fertilizer. As it has quite a good range of healthier looking shoots lower down I would also remove approximately the top third of the plant down to where the better small shoots are. Leave it to recover full strength before doing any real work on it, probably until next autumn. Hope it does well for you :fc: . Anyway, that's my :2c: worth.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Raging Bull wrote:Hi Eddy,
Sad to say it, but that plant does not look very healthy. :shake: If it were mine I would very carefully tease out the roots a little as it looks to be on the verge of becoming pot-bound too. Then just slip-pot it into a slightly larger pot with a good quality potting mix and add some Osmocote slow release general pupose fertilizer as well as fertilizing every 2 weeks with a liquid fertilizer. As it has quite a good range of healthier looking shoots lower down I would also remove approximately the top third of the plant down to where the better small shoots are. Leave it to recover full strength before doing any real work on it, probably until next autumn. Hope it does well for you :fc: . Anyway, that's my :2c: worth.
Hey mate, that advice is great as a general rule, but while most trees benefit from the application of fertilizer azaleas can be a little delicate. Osmocote have a specific azalea fertilizer and then follow the instructions on the package. Also, as for the larger pot these guys are the opposite to most other trees too, they prefer something smaller/just the right size for the root ball.

I would wait and see what someone with a little more experience than myself to chime in because this guy does look a little unwell. I think it could be due to the soil remaining too wet and these guys like to dry out a little between waterings.

Have a read of the azalea species guide in the wiki, which can be found HERE

For further Bonsai information, have a little read of the AusBonsai Wiki page HERE
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

I’ll do that Raging, by the way what is the best liquid fertilizer that i can used for my bonsai?

Thank you so much for the advice.
Eddy

Patriach_Eddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patriach_Eddy »

Jarad wrote:
Hey mate, that advice is great as a general rule, but while most trees benefit from the application of fertilizer azaleas can be a little delicate. Osmocote have a specific azalea fertilizer and then follow the instructions on the package. Also, as for the larger pot these guys are the opposite to most other trees too, they prefer something smaller/just the right size for the root ball.

I would wait and see what someone with a little more experience than myself to chime in because this guy does look a little unwell. I think it could be due to the soil remaining too wet and these guys like to dry out a little between waterings.

Have a read of the azalea species guide in the wiki, which can be found HERE

For further Bonsai information, have a little read of the AusBonsai Wiki page HERE
Thanks Jarad, for the tips and information about Azalea.

Eddy

Return to “Deciduous”