English Elm from root suckers

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: English Elm from root suckers

Post by MJL »

Even though I feel like I am progressing; a lot of times I’m just not sure what I’m doing.

I’ve admired some recent posts of older English Elms from Neil and Mike. And I remember some good stuff from Watto (I think) in the past too.

Recently I prepared these young trees to create new leaders. Today I chopped ‘em back.
Before
IMG_0770.jpg
After
IMG_0773.jpg
I’ve taken 1-3+ inches off the top of these trees; but probably not enough trimming of the little branches up top yet. I’m basically wanting to start the branch ramification process again. So I’ll go harder.

And this one
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg
I think this is about right in terms of cutting back ... but boy do I feel like I have taken a step back to take a step forward.

In the end, it matters not much. They are all from root suckers and have always been stock to learn on - that said, I hope they continue to progress.

I’ll repot in spring - probably just back into orchid pots for a while.

And I’ll see if I can hatch some kids over winter in the mini greenhouses. Unlikely to root but I’ll try. What not?
IMG_0778.jpg

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think this is about right in terms of cutting back ... but boy do I feel like I have taken a step back to take a step forward.
Great to see you have recognised this quite early. I have also found this is the best way to develop better bonsai. Pruning gives natural, more random bends than wiring and also gives us taper. Pruning also stimulates more buds so better ramification. Trying to grow the whole thing in one go gives long, uninteresting trunks and branches.

My EE rarely grow aggressively. I haven't even pruned this winter as there is little extension over summer on them.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I've had a wonderful day today. Of late, I have felt like I have had too many disasters.

Today was not one of those. I repotted my English elms because they were started to shoot! I am stoked with these. I feel I have (and continue) to encourage good nebari - noting that originally, these were dug/cut as root suckers with no nebari.)

These were overdue for a repot. I waited two years - should have been one. Anyway - when I scraped away the soil I was pleasantly surprised by the developing nebari and albeit overgrown - all was manageable. I'll let the pictures talk.

All still young but progressing nicely. I also re-arranged some of the trees and in one case - completely restyled. :cool:
IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg
The a resettle to this
IMG_1051.jpg
to this
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg
I am not sure about the last picture - but it shows new growth ---- being eaten!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

It’s easy to tell when you’re happy with your efforts MJL because there’s often a guy in a blue robe who gets to sit under a different tree and check the view from “new digs”!
Or maybe it’s not the same guy... in any case you get my drift.
You should be happy, improvements all round! :yes:
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

These are starting to look great, can see your skills improving with every post MJL
Life's too short for boring pots
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ryceman3 wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:56 pm It’s easy to tell when you’re happy with your efforts MJL because there’s often a guy in a blue robe who gets to sit under a different tree and check the view from “new digs”!
Or maybe it’s not the same guy... in any case you get my drift.
You should be happy, improvements all round! :yes:
R3 your post makes me smile becuse it is spot on ... I have many of those little folk in different coloured outfits. Sadly, I often chat to them (in my head) when I move them too. Frightening on so many levels - but why shouldn’t they get a new view every now and then. :whistle:

Anyway - on a more serious note - something is going right (or wrong) when I am excited by pictures of developing nebari! In the end, I used a different pot than below but I like the spread of roots here.
IMG_1116.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Spring has sprung and all have settled after the re-potting.
IMG_6597.jpg
IMG_6598.jpg
IMG_6599.jpg
IMG_6600.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

These have thrived with a repot. They are going coco bananas and spring has hardly sprung here in Melbourne .... :yes:
IMG_6779.jpg
Some larger leaves, so I am looking forward to defoliation in due course. (It is probably not a question with one answer but should I totally defoliate and when?) Historically with these, I have partially defoliated throughout the growing season. I have never had the guts to totally defoliate any of my younger deciduous trees.

Also, as I said, in a prior comment, I felt like I lost last years growing season with not a lot of vigour in these trees. Seems vigour has returned - perhaps I should start a yearly re-pot?

In truth, perhaps I should ground grow for vigour but I like my little bonsai pots ... still finding patience!

Regardless I am happy.

Have a good arvo.

Happy.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Looking through these images from page 1 you can certainly see how patience has come into play. I like this progression, because it shows your skills maturing too. This is something I'm able to see in my trees now too... this is a bonus of being a part of this fabbo forum!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Haircut time ! These have flourished after their respective re-pottings. Time for their first haircut of the season. I have gone harder than ever before but maybe not hard enough. :? In many cases, have gone back to the first pair if leaves. I have cut back anything directly up and down and I have sometimes left a branch that I know I am going to replace in future... I am just letting the replacement branch grow and ramify a little bit first.

Steps back for steps forward. I still find it hard to cut back so much that I can't look at the tree.... I like to look at my trees; perhaps I'll get over that soon too and some trees will just have to sit in the background vying for their time in the sun. :) I am really gonna try much harder to ramify these suckers (literally) over the coming years.

The photos below provide an indication of before and after.
IMG_6975.jpeg
IMG_6977.jpeg
IMG_6979.jpeg
IMG_7001.jpeg
IMG_7003.jpeg
IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_7005.jpeg
IMG_7006.jpeg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Six weeks ago I gave these Elms their first haircut of the season; they have responded with joy!

Perhaps it's the weather or the season or that I knocked the tops off them earlier in the year. I prefer to think it is a combination of those factors and the re-potting too. As I noted in an earlier post, I felt that I lost a growing season last year. When I trimmed the trees back, I got little re-growth but this year bang. I think I'll repot these yearly now not every second year. If they react like this, I look forward to more speedy ramification. All three are going gangbusters - this is just two of them with a bit of light-editing to make it easier to see the new growth.
IMG_7174.jpeg
IMG_7175.jpeg
IMG_7176.jpeg
IMG_7177.jpeg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

English Elm from root suckers

Post by MJL »

Just a winter update on these three suckers. ;)

I generally get all negative on the stuff that I do but I really like these... enjoying their annual improvement and while by no means highly ramified... they are on a reasonable path.

You'll also see that I previously styled one to be windswept ... I kissed that design goodbye and returned it to a clump a few months back and I am glad I did.

I am particularly liking the clump in image 74 below.

This winter post should give me something to compare to in years to come. And soon they'll be in pots better suited to their development phase and size too. I'll repot in early spring.
IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0078.jpeg
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Looking good Mark! They are noticeably turning into quite solid little trees from the spindly little suckers you planted a few years ago. :tu:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Looking good Mark! They are noticeably turning into quite solid little trees from the spindly little suckers you planted a few years ago. :tu:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

This is a good story and good improvement. Keen to see them in 5 years.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”