New collected tree...maple??

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Shagga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Any
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None

New collected tree...maple??

Post by Shagga »

Hi everyone
This tree was going to be got rid of so I decided to dig it up and hopefully save it. It looks like some sort of maple but I’m not sure. If anyone can identify it and or have any advice or ideas on aftercare and what to do with it would be great.
It has a couple of buds in the area circled and I think it may have to be ground layered just below the flare at the bottom of the deadwood to raise the root base and get rid of the inverse taper.
Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:aussie:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: New collected tree...maple??

Post by TimS »

Looks like Red Maple, Acer rubrum though i'm not 100% sure. I tried to use it, saved one from going in the bin, but the leaf size is huge and though i could reduce the size they were still larger than Japanese Maple leaves at full size.

I eventually planted it out in a garden and let it be a full size tree.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

The leaf looks a lot like a London Plane tree, very commonly planted as street trees in and around Melbourne... can’t make out the bark/trunk though from your photos so not entirely convinced. Never tried as bonsai so sorry, nothing to add in that regard although Im pretty sure a person on this forum (Firecat?) was going to give one a shot a year or more ago. From memory there were warnings about leaf size/reduction issues relating to London Plane trees as bonsai and intermodal distance was also a bit long. They also get a bit of a roasting in terms of their seeds and hayfever/asthma etc... I have one outside my house - I wouldn't bonsai it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.
Good luck!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on May 8th, 2018, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shagga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Any
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Shagga »

Thanks guys, pretty sure it is a London plane tree now that I’ve looked them up. I was hoping it was a maple, anyway it’s potted up now so I see how it goes.
:aussie:
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

Could possibly be a Field Maple too...Acer Campestre.....the trunk does not look to have the patching bark as on a London Plane--- but then I am often wrong. :lost:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
itsfullofstars
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by itsfullofstars »

Leaf looks more like acer saccharum to me. Sugar maple.

I grew some london planes from seed before and your tree looks more like maple leaves.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Shagga,
It should be easy to work out if it is a maple or plane. Check your tree and let us know if the buds/leaves are opposite or alternate. If you're not sure get a clear picture of a branch with leaves if possible. Earlier pictures seem to show opposite branch structure (which indicates maple) but they are too far away or too out of focus to be 100% sure.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”