collected

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

collected

Post by Max »

dug these 2 last year plus a few others
hawthorne
20180624_122559 (Large).jpg
20180624_122635 (Large).jpg
The main trunk is pretty straight with an ever so slight bend haly way up. It stands about a metre, i chopped there to give me options. The second trunk has nice movement be it spaced and the trunks are barking up. However i have "no idea" as to the overall height/carving/direction i should take it. Any suggestions or verts you mob???

small leaf privet
20180624_122725 (Large).jpg
20180624_122747 (Large).jpg
not deciduous but a great nebari happening. Main trunk is about 7-800mm to the chop. I will shorten the first branch to try to get a better taper before branching, again any suggestions or verts most welcome :tu:

These were first planted in gravel at the nursery on collection. Nothing happened til about 6 weeks into spring, then buds popped everywhere. The shoots were then cut back because they were not a good look for a native nursery :palm:. I then had to remove the trees mid summer :o :palm: which had them taking 3 steps back before slowly bouncing back. The joys of starting a new job :tounge:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: collected

Post by Watto »

With the privet I would completely remove the thicker of the two trunks. That will give you better taper and a smaller bonsai with a wide base (nabari). This is working on the theory of making the smallest bonsai possible from the material available. I need more time to think about the Hawthorn.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

agree with watto on the privet.
is there anything happening higher up on the hawthorne? the base inst very inspiring so could think about some layers closer to the top
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Hi guys, :wave: thanks for that , had not even considered chopping the main trunk off the privet. There is nothing happening on the hawthorne :shake: so the idea of layering just below where there is a slight bend might have to be the go :tu2:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I always find it hard to work out the best style for a tree based on a 2D image because the nuances of depth, root placement, etc is not clear in a photo.
Based on what I can see I would probably use the same technique on both these trees because they both seem to have the same issue - large thick trunk with no movement or taper.
Rather than completely removing the larger trunk I'd consider converting some of it to jin. Cuts that size are going to be very visible for a long time so may be better to make a feature of them. Uro (hollow) is another option after removing large branches from trees.

You may find that hawthorn does not layer easily? I'm sure I saw a thread by Bodhi when he tried to propagate his Pauls Scarlet hawthorn without success.
They will sprout very well when cut back though, even right down to the ground so don't be frightened to prune hard if you need to.
This year I'm also trying some root cuttings which also seem to shoot quite happily.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Thanks Neil. Hopefully i can find someone who has experience in "Uro" around my way :lost:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

What's to know? Just cut off, hollow out the stump just a but with the dremel or other carving tool and paint the bare wood black - instant mysterious hole in an old trunk. Will gradually look better as the bark starts to roll over the edges a bit.
Maybe an owl lives in there.....
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Umm...oh okay.. i thought it would be best to carve out 1 half side of the trunk :palm:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Too low for any sensible owl. There was a frog that lived in the Koreshoff Zelkovas in the NBPCA, many many years ago.

Gavin

Return to “Deciduous”