Two Elms Become One

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MWGH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas
Bonsai Club: Northwest, VNBC

Two Elms Become One

Post by MWGH »

I had a shohin sized Chinese Elm I planned to make a tidy little broom out of.
Elm 1.jpg
Before I'd even really started with its training I was bored of the idea, so I thought something a little more drastic might be in order. We see a lot of nice little shohin brooms, but considerably less more dynamic, multi trunk, mini trees. So I thought I'd give it a go.
I knew I had a bunch of little elms sitting around taking up space that would work as a second trunk, so I decided to start by getting the main trunk out of its pot and soil to see what I was working with and where I could probably form a union.
Elm 2.jpg
Maybe a liiiiitle more...
Elm 3.jpg
I had to remove a big chunky piece of root/trunk to get it to this point so realistically that would have to become my point of contact. Also removed any braches on that side of the tree as I wouldn't need them once the second trunk was in place.
What have I got that might fit in?
You'll do.
Elm 4.jpg
Tentatively sandwiched together to see the potential. Not bad but definitely gonna have to remove some material to get it to sit nicely.
Elm 5.jpg
I forgot to take any photos of the next part, but using my dremel I carved a nice big hollow out of the side of the main trunk to nestle the smaller trunk in. I also removed areas of the smaller trunk where necessary to make the cambium of each tree touch. Or close enough anyway.
Some wire was placed to bring where the new apex on the smaller trunk was going to be into place, and a guy wire was used to crank the low heavy branch on the main trunk up to create a third trunk in the future.
I ziptied the two trees together to make sure I was happy with the result (not that I could really turn back at this point).
Elm 6.jpg
Then buried a couple of screws in the base where they wont be seen to secure them together forever.
Elm 7.jpg
Potted back up in a nice coarse mix and left alone to recover.
Elm 8.jpg
While it looks rather contrived as it stands today, the bases should fuse together into something quite dramatic, after which I can rip into the top of the tree to give it more movement and taper. If it survives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Two Elms Become One

Post by Watto »

I like the idea. Keep us posted if you don't mind.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There is no reason why this will not survive and unite just as you've intended. I would have probably taken a good deal more root and bark off the points of contact to get better union and remove the risk that thickening roots will push the trees apart.
From past experience I can see one possible future issue with this one. The space between the 2 trunks is narrow. As both these trees thicken that space will disappear and in a few years the fork will be up where that first branch currently is - not the best look for a twin trunk tree, especially a shohin. If it is still possible to widen that space (just push the tops apart?) I would do it now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Exactly what I thought too Shibui.

A fraction too close right now I reckon.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Deciduous”