Ash

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Ash

Post by terryb »

I bought this ash at the SA Bonsai Society annual show last October pretty much for its trunk. I either didn't take any pictures back then or have lost them :palm: . However, here it is two months later when I slip potted and gave it a trunk chop since it was overly tall. It didn't take long for the buds to pop.
17_25-Dec17.jpg
The original plan was to change the planting angle slightly and develop some sort of informal upright from there. I had a bit of a dig and there were some largish roots that I could see but I wanted to wait until re-potting time before committing to anything. So began the long wait. It finally lost it's leaves a couple of weeks ago, so out it came. Turns out it was buried a lot deeper than I thought and must have been in this pot for a while because the bark under the soil had broken down. Unfortunately it was getting dark so I don't have photos of it out of the pot and frankly I was in two minds about whether I should chop it at the original soil level. Instead I removed the larger roots and settled for a semi cascade. Here's how it looks at present.
Front
17_25-July18-1.jpg
Back
17_25-July18-2.jpg
17_25-July18-3.jpg
I'm hoping that the newly exposed trunk will bark up again. I think it is still a bit long and will probably reduce the length to the smaller upward growing branch, although I'm open to any other ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Ash

Post by Boics »

I too wonder about cutting right back to the smaller trunk.
Having said that I think ash work a bit better larger due to the compound leave structure.
Looks like great stock.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Deciduous”