Chinese Elm natural field style

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Chinese Elm natural field style

Post by TimS »

Sno wrote: August 12th, 2023, 8:28 pm This tree would look good in any pot .
I picked up a new Walsall pot today (not for this tree) and there was an almost violet purple with teal green through WS pot there also; im not sure it would suit this tree hahaha. Still tempted to buy it because i like crazy colour pots but can't really justify it already having picked up another WS pot.

I like with this one the elm is in that it almost 'vanishes' when you look at the tree as it picks up on the trunk colour so closely. My eye isn't drawn to it at all allowing to focus on the tree. At least with the white background that is the case. Might be more noticeable against a black background.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: August 12th, 2023, 5:06 pm First time putting this tree in a show, it's on display at the Waverly Bonsai Show on this weekend (tomorrow) at the Waverly Centre…
It’s a great achievement to get a tree to a point where you can proudly show it at an exhibition, well done! I’m yet to show anything except to promote a low key charity event a couple of years back… maybe one day.
Congrats on the display, it looked amazing… unfortunately my stars didn’t align and I couldn’t get there to check it out in person. I’m sure it was a success!
:tu: :beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 7:37 pm
TimS wrote: August 12th, 2023, 5:06 pm First time putting this tree in a show, it's on display at the Waverly Bonsai Show on this weekend (tomorrow) at the Waverly Centre…
It’s a great achievement to get a tree to a point where you can proudly show it at an exhibition, well done! I’m yet to show anything except to promote a low key charity event a couple of years back… maybe one day.
Congrats on the display, it looked amazing… unfortunately my stars didn’t align and I couldn’t get there to check it out in person. I’m sure it was a success!
:tu: :beer:
Thanks mate, yes it was a success i think especially given the economic circumstances we're all currently enjoying. There will be another next year of course for you to make it to!

It's taken what the best part of 6 years from when i purchased it to getting it to the first stage of being happy to display it in public. Still more work to be done on it as well but people were very complimentary of it which i greatly appreciated. I tend to not just show trees for the sake of showing them, i like them to be at a level i'm happy with before displaying them hence it's taken me this long to put a tree in a show

You have a great selection of pines coming along that i've been following quietly in the background, sooner or later some of those will be ready for a show i'm sure!

Sold a bunch of stuff off, picked up some new Walsall pots and a JBP :o seemed too cheap to pass up so i'm back in the pine business again.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I really liked that tree, and most of them in that room.

Great pot to suit it as well.

Well done!
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: August 14th, 2023, 6:56 am I really liked that tree, and most of them in that room.

Great pot to suit it as well.

Well done!
Thanks mate! Glad you could make the trip over for it, it was a little light on for trees in the main hall so hopefully I have a few more ready to show next year
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

First trim of the season for this tree.

To keep the fine ramification i really don't let it extend very far before cutting back, maybe 7 leaves and back to 3 or sometime 2 depending on which direction i want it going. Also removed a bunch of dead twigs in the ramification, you can kind of cheese it in winter and leave it to add to the volume of ramification, but once the tree is actively growing it looks like poo tickets to have dead stuff hanging around.

I'll work my way over the tree every few days for the next week or so as i find ones that i missed or were not yet long enough to prune back. Painstaking task but there's no point putting in cr*p effort and getting a cr*p result.

As it looks to start
SA.jpg

An example branch of what length i let it get to before cutting back
SB.jpg
After pruning
SC.jpg

Job complete (for now) To my eye at least it looks noticably thinner, but i do look at the tree every day as well
SD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

This is a nice tree Tim.
It definitely has a natural, sprawling feel to it that is just easy/relaxing to look at ... very cool.
:yes:
I need to get on to trimming my elms too, they are already starting to get away from me!
:beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Ryceman3 wrote: September 18th, 2023, 9:18 am This is a nice tree Tim.
It definitely has a natural, sprawling feel to it that is just easy/relaxing to look at ... very cool.
:yes:
I need to get on to trimming my elms too, they are already starting to get away from me!
:beer:
Thanks mate, i haven't really claimed too much credit for the work on it having purchased it with the bones there, but now looking back at the first photos in the thread I can appreciate how far I have progressed it in a relatively short time.

Most of my other trees can be taken in with a glance or two, just being more traditional styles or nowhere near as far down the development track, so I really enjoy that I and others can explore this one further and take a bit more time to look through

Definitely time to jump on pruning the elms that are in refinement mate! They'll be trying to grow back to 20m trees before you know it
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Looks like a completely different tree from seeing the first photo. Nice work! :tu:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: September 18th, 2023, 5:50 pm Looks like a completely different tree from seeing the first photo. Nice work! :tu:
Thanks mate! Always worth revisiting the old photos every so often, especially with deciduous where you don't get the dramatic changes that can be achieved with conifers.

Return to “Deciduous”