Jacaranda Trio

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Jacaranda Trio

Post by MJL »

Good morning.

I was wandering around the garden this morning - checking to see that my plants had not washed away in the buckets of rain that poured down overnight and noted this group of Jacarandas.

I don’t think I have not posted a pic of these on this forum before because I thought it was a reasonably cr@p group ...but I am coming to really like it. (And I post a lot of cr@p anyway - so why hide the Jacarandas!)

Anyway - I think these plants are more conducive to the climate further north but they seem to be going ok. The largest was given to me by my step-dad and the other two were seedlings in one terracotta pot that I saw at a cheese factory! I asked if I could buy the little pot and they said feel free to take it with my latte... cool.

So a few years down the track and here we are. All I do is water and feed lots and trim the tops to push growth onto dead wood and reduce leaf size. I am sure they would be more verdant with more humidity but they are going ok. I will wire some movement into the second and third branches on the biggest tree in due course too.

As usual for me - they are over-potted in a training pot but I’ll reduce the size of the pot in due course. At the moment - just more of my pre-Bonsai.

As always - happy for any thoughts and advice.

Cheers,

Mark
IMG_5918.jpg
IMG_5919.jpg

Bonsai teaches me patience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Jacaranda Trio

Post by MJL »

Hot day today .... banana milkshakes and relaxing with the kids. Cricket on the radio in the background ... a bit of time to create a few bends.

I like where this trio is heading ... clip and grow keeps everything under control and it seems to bud back reasonably readily.

I don’t think I’ll ever get flowers because I keep cutting it back from the top - if I do, it’ll be a bonus. Regardless - I am enjoying this grouping.
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I see it thickening up from your first images, it’s coming along nicely - plenty of potential if you can work it right, much like the Aussie cricket team! :P :beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers R3. Yes, they should continue to thicken over time, I hope. While I’ve cut them off in these photos - the tree tends to get a reasonable amount of new growth on the old wood which I tend to leave to grow a little - cutting off before the scar will be too prominent. I am sure I could leave these ‘sacrifice’ branches longer.

I think the smart players on this forum would ground grow these for speed but I have little space and quite like look even though it’s in a trading pot.

In the end, I think the taper will come from continually updating the leaders on each tree/branch.

Pierre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Tropicals, Bougies, flowering trees
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Pierre »

Hi MJL,
Nice trees. I like Jacaranda, they get a great bark quickly, and grow fast. Of course they come with many challenges but they do heal over cuts very well I found.
Pierre
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Repotted these. No major changes but better. I think this trio is coming along well. I nearly reduced the size of the largest tree but decided to keep the hight for now - I hope it might bud back a little lower and then I can cut back. Maybe.

I re-arranged the layout to bring trees closer together, slightly reduced pot size and went for a glazed pot - just one I had lying around.

I did a much of the work under the soil; untangling roots and spreading better - will make for better nebari in future.

A trio that I continue to like. :)

Pre-repotting and roots.
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
Post repotting below.
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Looking good Mark , trees are coming on nicely ,very harmonious. Cheers John.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

This is a photo of relief. After the last repotting - these trees immediately shed the leaves or 90% of the leaves. Then nothing ... honestly, I thought they were cactus/dead/kaput and I was disappointed ... I know these aren't much in a bonsai sense and they'll probably never flower but I like them! Anyway, in the past 2 weeks they have sprung into life. They look a little weak but phew, happy times.
IMG_7131.jpeg
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

I really like the movement you've put into these Mark, so much so that I've been keeping my eye out for Jacaranda seedlings that I can steal - Jacaranda are very popular as street trees in Adelaide. Just now I spied a candidate, a lot bigger than I had in mind but I can live with that, in the front yard of a house that's about to get demolished, so I'll have to come back for it soon before yard gets torn up.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Go Greg! Go save that tree from certain death! I am pleased to report that my trio are back and powering along.

In saving trees (or tiny little seedlings) .... when you walk your dog or whatever takes you around your neighbourhood you’ll be surprised what you find... just last week I was cutting English Elm root suckers (again). Historically, I have also spotted Cedrus seedlings no bigger than 2” high under old trees ...rare but keep an eagle eye out; self down seedlings and suckers can be great stock to play with. Oh, and some species Chinese and Japanese elms self-seed like rabbits too.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

greg27 wrote: November 19th, 2019, 10:31 am I really like the movement you've put into these Mark, so much so that I've been keeping my eye out for Jacaranda seedlings that I can steal - Jacaranda are very popular as street trees in Adelaide. Just now I spied a candidate, a lot bigger than I had in mind but I can live with that, in the front yard of a house that's about to get demolished, so I'll have to come back for it soon before yard gets torn up.
Go get I'm
They are easy to report and collect and Back bud on old wood readily. Cut them hard to generate taper and interest

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Thanks guys, love your work. I wandered back this morning and grabbed it - turns out it's a lot bigger than I assumed - and with flowers! I've started a new thread so as to stop hijacking this one: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=27785
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Played around with these this morning ... really just a tidy up. The bird and the bloke seem happy that I spruced up their garden.Image This grouping is a joy ... slowly turning into to something more interesting than sticks .... and the bones/branching better with time. I think I could cut back harder - say on the longest branch on the largest tree but not yet. Slowly slowly .... here’s a before and some afters. Image

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Bored in Melbourne. Went for a run and then decided to attack some more plants. This time this trio. Took about 6 inches or more off the top - across all trees. I read in one of my JapaneseImage
bonsai books that sometimes cuttings take well under their own trees ... so I have either increased the group or not - nothing to lose. Image

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Good luck with the cuttings. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I like the natural looking movement you've put into the trunks of the trio. My poincianas are now starting to take off, and your Jaca post has prompted me to take some pics and post progress pics.
Cheers, Frank.

Return to “Deciduous”