Chinese Elm - Chop V Wire

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Chinese Elm - Chop V Wire

Post by MJL »

I was taken with Shibui's response, including these comments:-

"Bonsai can also be developed slowly..."
"Growing this way allows more control over the shape and usually produces much better bonsai but takes far longer than most of us want to spend."

The two comments summarise why I chose Bonsai as a hobby. It's slow when life is not. It's about appreciating the small things. It calms me. It let's me be creative but lean on some basic principles to guide my way. My logic driven mind won't let me completely free-wheel. Bonsai sits at the intersection of art and science. Hundreds of years of Bonsai lore and horticultural knowledge inform our way forward.

People are different, trees are different ...

Many folk I know won't look at a tree unless it has a trunk as thick as your wrist ... so collecting wild trees and/or thickening trunks in grow beds is a focus.

Me - I am happy wiring seedlings and cutting leaders; clipping and growing as the years pass. Forming beautiful young trees (at least in my mind :) ).

I have often posted this stand of trees (see below). They are neither thick nor tall; I believe they are older than 20 years - maybe 30. It remains my favourite Bonsai. If I have something akin to this in 30 years I felt I will have achieved an understanding of this sport called Bonsai. I took these photos at a show earlier this year; they continue to inspire me. They are not my trees but they remain in my mind.
IMG_4307.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg
I am 50.I have been practicing this hobby for 5 + years now. Hopefully when I am 75, I will still be able to practice this hobby. Hopefully, I will have some 30 year old Bonsai that I have tended from the time they sprouted from my garden. If I am lucky ... they might be worth passing down when I leave this mortal coil.

Back to Shibui's quotes:

"Bonsai can also be developed slowly..."
"Growing this way allows more control over the shape and usually produces much better bonsai but takes far longer than most of us want to spend."

What is in your mind's eye? What are you seeing to create? How long have you got?

We are all different. Try to work out what you want to achieve and then use tree stock and methods to help you achieve your vision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MJL on December 27th, 2018, 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Chinese Elm - Chop V Wire

Post by Raging Bull »

I totally agree with MJL. Patience is the key. We can do things to help the tree develop in the direction we want it to grow, but they after all, they are trees and they grow to the rythm of seasons and years, not overnight, weekly or even monthly. If you want fast growing plants specialize in annuals or bamboo, not trees. Anyway, that's my :2c: worth. Cheers, Frank.

Return to “Deciduous”