Elm Ground Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Elm Ground Layer

Post by one_bonsai »

I pruned my elm about six weeks ago. Then eight weeks after that initial pruning, I did a ground layer on the elm. This is my fist attempt at any type of layering. About a week after the ground layer, the plant exploded with new growth. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign, because I would of thought that the ground layer would stop growth.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Elm Ground Layer

Post by Ryceman3 »

New growth is a good sign generally ... although I'm confused because you say you pruned your elm 6 weeks ago but did the ground layer 8 weeks later? :lost:
In any case, so long as the layer was done succesfully, the new growth should be creating new roots :fc:.
I posted on a ground layer that I did on a Chinese Elm, which required me to have another go at it before I got roots ... see here :
viewtopic.php?f=158&t=22397
Not sure how you did your layer, but if it is over 6 weeks since you did it you could push the soil back and have a peek, I would expect at least some root growth by now at this time of year.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

Ryceman3 wrote: I'm confused because you say you pruned your elm 6 weeks ago but did the ground layer 8 weeks later?
Week 1 - Pruned
Week 2 - Did nothing
Week 3 - Did nothing
Week 4 - Did nothing
Week 5 - Did nothing
Week 6 - Did nothing
Week 7 - Did nothing
Week 8 - Ground Layer
Week 9 - Did nothing
Week 10 - Lots of new growth

Where I say "Did Nothing" that means I did no work on the plant and also the plant did nothing.
Last edited by one_bonsai on January 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

I am pretty sure this is a good thing. Good in a sense that your layer did not kill the plant.
To be honest, Elms are almost indestructible.

I did some heavy pruning last winter and one of the branch I took off that was 3 cm thick looked too nice to throw away so I stuck it in some coir peat and to my surprised, the large cutting took and this year, I got a small little tree.

Either your layer bridged or roots are already there. Both are better than a dead tree.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

I'm thinking maybe I didn't scrape off the cambium properly after I made the cut and removed the outer layer.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

Just an update. I had a peek at the ground layer and there's some decent roots that have formed.

Ground Layer1.png
Ground Layer2.png
Amazing how quickly it formed roots.

I've only been doing Bonsai for about three months and thought layering was a more advanced technique. Then I thought what the hell and gave it a go. Really surprised as how easy it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Deciduous”