Japanese maple need advice!

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
sitty45
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Japanese maple need advice!

Post by sitty45 »

Hi guys

I am in Sydney south-west and had just recently got into bonsai. I purchase this Japanese maple from ray nesi around September 2018 and haven't done much since.

It now has recovered quite well from the sunburn from those hot day and now I am looking to style it.

I need help on which direction would be the best for this tree. Initially, I was thinking an upright style but I am not too sure where to make the cut. Any advice is welcome!
full view.jpg
might be front view
front zoom.jpg
front.jpg
back view
back side.jpg
side view
side view.jpg
side view 2.jpg
thanks !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Japanese maple need advice!

Post by shibui »

There must be at least 20 different good possibilities for this tree but it is difficult to see them all in 2D photos from way down here.
I can see it has a large, taperless trunk so will probably need to have that reduced quite a bit. can one or another of the larger side branches become the new leader?
You should probably decide whether you want a curving informal upright trunk with horizontal branches ( :P ) or a multi trunked Japanese maple style tree or something else.
Check for surface roots first. Nebari is quite important for Japanese maples so should have a big bearing on where the best view of your tree will be. Sometimes the roots are well under the soil o there may be quite a bit more trunk than you can currently see. That could make a big difference to which style you choose.
Trunk is second importance. Look for a view where you get some nice movement rather than a straight telephone pole.
Branches are #3 so look for the best view of existing branches but remember that branches can be removed and/or regrown in a few years so less important than roots and trunk.

First lesson in bonsai should be stop worrying. Just make some decisions and get on with it. I know that's not very comforting for a beginner but it is something that needs to be learnt.
Another way to put it: If you can see 2 or 3 equally good possibilities and cannot decide which way to go it means that any of those are equally good so it does not matter which one you choose but until you do make a choice and get on with it your tree will not become a good bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”