Millettia Japonica aka. Dwarf Wisteria

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig & Serissa
Bonsai Age: 1

Millettia Japonica aka. Dwarf Wisteria

Post by Kyle Goldcoast1 »

So I was just browsing bunnings last week and stumbled upon this little bad boy in amongst the paving section around the corner from plants. Thought it was in a weird spot so I might as well take it and put it in a better spot like my shopping basket. For only $12, what a bargain!
20190204_165252.jpg
It had a bonsai tag with Wisteria but after some research found its not a true wisteria but resembles one by the foliage. Unsure if it flowers, I have read some sites says it doesn't and some say it does but rarely but has small lavender coloured bells.

I gave it a repot and saw it has some nice roots to it. Not sure about those little knobs at the base of the trunk if they will bring shoots or if they are just little trunk knobs. I gave 1 a little clip and its green under the bark so I'm going to leave them and see what happens for now.
20190204_165753.jpg
20190204_170030.jpg
20190204_170046.jpg
The pot I actually found in a Salvos store as a bowl that cost $2. On the base it says 'Hand decorated Shigaraki Stone Japan'. With a little drilling and some glued on clear plugs I now have a nice looking pot.
20190204_172350.jpg
Added some moss to it and I'm going to at its detail and think about some light wiring.
20190204_172357.jpg
20190204_173501.jpg

I'm already in love with it and cant wait to see how it develops but already a great looking tree for $14.
20190204_173516.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Millettia Japonica aka. Dwarf Wisteria

Post by Raging Bull »

Nice one you scored there. Make sure you keep the fertiliser and water up to it and it should grow on well. :yes:
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Has anyone had experience with this type of plant for advice on fertiliser and pruning? I haven't found much on that part yet
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Kyle Goldcoast1 wrote:Has anyone had experience with this type of plant for advice on fertiliser and pruning? I haven't found much on that part yet
There's a bit here:search.phphttps://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/search.php

There is also a very thorough article in one of the International Bonsai mags, but basically, they need a high fertilizer rate, full sun unless very hot. Prune long vines after they have thickened a bit and shape in winter. Repot every year. Don't over-wire. Mainly clip and grow.
Last edited by treeman on February 10th, 2019, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Thanks Mike.
Had a browse and looks like not many people have them as bonsai.
Hopefully it does me well. I've been away for a few days so I moved it put of direct sum hoping it won't dry out in this heat we have been getting.

Return to “Deciduous”