Talk trunk on English Elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Kbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Kbonsai »

Hi Team! I’m new to all this but I have an English Elm acquired from a local bonsai nursery a few months ago and need some advice.

It’s been through a couple of phases even in that time with spider mites not wanting to go away. This has left the tree looking pretty unhealthy, on top of that I’m not sure how long it’s been in its pot but the water no longer drains well so it’s in desperate need of a repot.

I really like the tree but not sure on which direction to take it. I’m thinking it’ll need a trunk chop due to the way the branches are growing.

At the moment I’m not sure how I should prioritise...

should I consider a trunk chop and leave it in its pot hoping the developed roots will help it to bud again? Is it the wrong season for such a harsh cut? Do I repot and allow it to maybe regain some vigour? Should I just trim the branches right back instead?

The tree seems to be rid of the mites for now (been using diluted neem oil spray) and the tree is still budding with new foliage quite regularly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pics are from healthier time as some foliage now shrivelled on the tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Talk trunk on English Elm

Post by shibui »

I think it is getting a little late in the season for the trees to bud and grow before winter so I probably would not cut now.
I also prefer to repot my deciduous trees in spring but I know there has been some growers repotting deciduous trees in autumn.
With such a young, immature tree I would root prune and cut back the trunk at the same time but, for me, that would be winter/spring.

Elms are pretty hardy so it will probably survive and grow no matter what you decide to do.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kbonsai »

Thanks Shibui, you’ve given me a bit of confidence to do it next month maybe I’ll see how it gets on in the coming weeks!

haha also just realised the title of my post...

Last edited by Kbonsai on February 19th, 2019, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReDirtBonsa1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coastal Tea Tree
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by ReDirtBonsa1 »

Well here is your tree after the chop :tu: don't forget to keep the piece you cut off and then you can have two trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kbonsai »

ReDirtBonsa1 wrote:Well here is your tree after the chop :tu: don't forget to keep the piece you cut off and then you can have two trees.
Hi mate,
Thanks for that! It looks like a much more workable height for sure, then over time I can shorten the branches and create a bit of ramification. Your cut is the exact same place I was thinking as I didn’t want to loose that movement lower in the trunk.

As eager as I am I must try to hold out as long as possible for some cooler days hopefully in a month or so, I will repot the same time as there is something going on in the pot (either too much root or poor soil).

Cheers!

Return to “Deciduous”