Next Stage of Ground Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Next Stage of Ground Layer

Post by one_bonsai »

I have an elm that I ground layered about a three months ago to try and develop a nebari. I had a peek, and a good root system has developed. So what would be the next stage? Should I cut the trunk below the new roots and transfer it to a new pot?
Elm GL.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Next Stage of Ground Layer

Post by shibui »

It may not be the best time of year for drastic root pruning. Maybe a Chinese elm could cope??? Having said that I have removed air layers bigger than this from parent trees in late summer with no problems so I guess removing this one should be no problem.
Only 3 months? How strong are the new roots? New roots are quite brittle so I would not try to arrange them in any way if you decide to remove it now. Leave the roots alone for at least another year to attach to the trunk a bit better then bare root and prune/ arrange the roots for a new nebari.
keep the stump. Chinese elm will almost always sprout new shoots from the top of any cut trunk. Maybe some good shoots will sprout and you can grow another tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Yes that would be the next step. But we have another week of heat coming in Melbourne so I would wait till just before Spring bud burst. If you do it now it could stress it, Evan though it’s an Elm and hardy why stress it needlessly. :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

So should I transfer it to a plastic pot or bonsai pot?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

On ya Kirky, always putting the trees first - why stress them if not needed. If trees could speak from the grave - many dead trees would have asked me: ‘Why them Mark, Why did you repot me before a heatwave?’

I reckon the pot is personal choice but perhaps look for one of those low/squat black plastic orchid pots as a next step.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

In winter I would transfer it to a black plastic orchid pot. Spread out the roots gently and leave until next year then you can look to transfer it to a Bonsai pot.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Whether you go to a bonsai pot or a larger training pot will depend on your personal preference and how well advanced the tree is. Not talking about the roots here - the tree part is what concerns us here.
Bonsai pots tend to be rather small to restrict growth. Also they hold less nutrients and less water so the trees are mostly less vigorous. This is great if your tree already has a good trunk and all the branches and most of the ramification you want but tree growth and development will be slow.
A larger training pot will allow more room for roots, nutrients and water so trees in them tend to grow better and develop faster. If your trunk still needs to thicken or you need to grow and develop branches or a new apex a training pot is usually best. It should cut down the time to take the tree to the next stage by a number of years.

Many new bonsai growers 'need' to have a tree in a bonsai pot so they can feel that they are a 'real' bonsai person. I know because I have also been there. By all means put undeveloped trees into bonsai pots if you want to but maybe also have some others growing on in training pots somewhere in a corner or round the back. Those will soon be far better than your original trees and can replace the originals.

Decision is totally yours to make now that you know the full ramifications.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by one_bonsai »

Well I want to develop ramification, so sounds like a training pot is the way to go. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Last edited by one_bonsai on February 25th, 2019, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”