Silver Birch chillin' for the winter?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Silver Birch chillin' for the winter?

Post by Thymetraveller »

I have struggled to keep Silver Birches alive in Sydney, but I couldnt resist these two fat little bottoms!
IMG_20190324_170051_202.jpg
birch2.jpg
I had a conversation at Ray Nesci's place about putting iceblocks around cherry trees over winter to give them the chill they need to produce fruit, and another comment on my Instagram feed - @thymetraveller_ if you want to check it out - suggested keeping the birches in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks over the winter. The suggestion being that it isn't the heat of summer that kills them, but rather the lack of properly cold dormancy.

Does anyone have any experience with these methods?
These two are certainly small enough to hibernate in my fridge for the winter, and if I can keep them alive, they have the makings of lovely little shohin trees!

Cheers
TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Silver Birch chillin' for the winter?

Post by Nate.bonsai »

No experience with hardwood/trees, but I did manage to freeze and kill an orchid by using the same method and giving it some Winter in the fridge.

First couple of nights in the fridge were fine.

I think the problem was that I watered it before putting it in for the third night. Seems that the water was pulled up into the leaves, the edges of which them froze and the innards of which were not happy either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

LuisVallejo.jpg
If these are Silver Birch, then I'd be giving it a go too! This was from Luis Vallejo's farcebook page...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

That picture looks like Carpinus (hornbeam) or leaves could also be beech but beech usually have smooth bark.

Not sure of the need for winter chill for birch. They are from colder climates so it is possible. Not sure about the practicality of ice on the soil. It would melt pretty quick so I'm not sure how effective that would be. Fridge may be possible. We do that for seed treatment. The trees will be dormant at that stage so there's no problem with it being dark in the fridge. Maybe they will think they are north of the arctic circle?
I have discussed the fridge with others for autumn colour but at that time they still have leaves and need sunlight as part of the process so need to go in at night and back outside for the day. One person tried it but gave up after a couple of days so I still don't know if it works.

My biggest problem with birch is dieback after pruning. Entire branches die back to the trunk after anything more than pinching the tips. Recently say a post from USA saying don't prune in winter. Summer pruning while the tree is active reduces dieback.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I too have lost a branch or two of my birches from time to time.
One issue I have come across that I do my best to avoid is letting any buds break and start to gain momentum from branch crotches or near to the trunk.
This will apparently divert vigour and can cause die-back of branches.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Nup, nada - if my wife finds bonsai in the fridge that will be the end of everything - she humours my hobby now but a tree on the shelf next to the cheese and wine ... game over. I’m unsubscribing to this thread - too dangerous.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
itsfullofstars
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by itsfullofstars »

Lol very familiar story. Seeds galore stratifying in the fridge in manageable, but it ends there.

A bloke on a maple forum was growing a japanese maple in Qatar???!!
He was advised to put it in the fridge during qatars summer and take it out during their winter.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

MJL wrote:Nup, nada - if my wife finds bonsai in the fridge that will be the end of everything - she humours my hobby now but a tree on the shelf next to the cheese and wine ... game over. I’m unsubscribing to this thread - too dangerous.

Mark you crack me up! :lol:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

TimS wrote:
MJL wrote:Nup, nada - if my wife finds bonsai in the fridge that will be the end of everything - she humours my hobby now but a tree on the shelf next to the cheese and wine ... game over. I’m unsubscribing to this thread - too dangerous.

Mark you crack me up! :lol:
Cheers Tim. Important to find time to smile, laugh and reflect on the muse of Bonsai. And hey, there’s not much I can offer in terms of technical expertise ... glad I can offer something back to the forum every now and then. Life’s too serious to be serious all the time.
[WINKING FACE]

Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Deciduous”