autumn pruning

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: autumn pruning

Post by shibui »

That last trident is relatively young. I have not been able to keep all the details on all the trees I grow or even the ones I keep as my own. I guess about 5 years in the grow beds with a couple of chops in that time. Then another 5 years in poly boxes to grow the replacement leader and get branches started. Another 10 years since then cutting and growing the branches and adding some more roots so probably around 20 years to get this far.

I've found some earlier photos:
File info says 2009 but also says 4:09am so maybe the camera calendar was not set at that stage? - pretty sure it is the same tree. One of the root grafts still fusing at the base:
PICT0333.JPG
This looks like the first time it was in a bonsai pot - Sept 2009. The previous root graft has ben reduced to a stump and more added.
Trident 2.jpg
Nearly a year later in June 2010
Trident 2 2010 06.JPG
Would love to know more on the first tree the Japanese maple. How did you develop it, It looks like a wonderful tree.
precise details of that palmatum are also lost in the mists of time Keels. I can't recall if this was a layer or just a seedling chosen for having extra low shoots to develop multi trunks. I do know I deliberately set out to grow this multi trunk Japanese maple style tree and actually started several at the same time, some of which I still have but not all were worth keeping and have been passed on to other growers.
2010 is the earliest photo I can find of the structure and there's not much difference.
AP large 2010 5 a.JPG
May 2009 photo shows autumn colour but not the branch structure
AP large 2009 05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: autumn pruning

Post by Keels »

Thanks shibui. I forgot that you have been at this a long time, i appreciate the effort in the last update. I always find it interesting the trees you post plus how your growing and developing the trees. Thanks :tu:

Return to “Deciduous”