linden tree winter 2019

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

linden tree winter 2019

Post by Matthew »

A naked picture of my one and only linden tree in winter this year . The trunk has really started to thicken and age last 4 years and the branching while slow to ramify on this species is getting there . These really are a attractive tree particually early spring when that new lime green leaf comes out . I have found they hate the heat , love water and frost is no issue at all . This one is in a very early Pat Kennedy pot that I love to death . I usually repot this tree every year .
rsz_linden tree winter 19.jpg
rsz_linden trunk winter 19.jpg
linden tree spring 17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew on June 6th, 2019, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shills
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: linden tree winter 2019

Post by Shills »

Really lovely tree. Did the trunk thicken much whilst in the current pot? Rookie query: I'm worried that once I put a tree in a non-growing pot, the trunk will be as-is from then on because the root mass is reduced. Is this incorrect? If incorrect, why/how can the trunk thicken with so little roots?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

linden tree winter 2019

Post by MJL »

What a beauty. Not a tree that I am familiar with. Thanks for posting Matthew. Lovely colour on the leaves too.

.... and just following on from my earlier post with quick edit. A train ride to work is allowing me time to look into these trees a little more. The quirky Mr Saunders has a rescue Linden that he is currently working on. I think this helps to show how well progressed your tree is Matthew.

See Nigel’s progression here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpOTkNI0 ... dex=7&t=0s

Please note: I am not posting the link for a discussion about the relative merits of each tree - rather, I simply found it the video somewhat helpful to understand how to work these trees a little more.

Again, lovely tree Matthew.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MJL on June 7th, 2019, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

A lovely tree, Matthew. I'm especially impressed with the nebari, of course, and that great low branch, so hard to achieve on apically dominant trees.
To Shills: any healthy plant that lives in a pot will continue to put on mass, only more slowly than in the ground, and in proportion to the size of the pot vs the normal rate of growth of the roots. Fast growing trees like Chinese elm and trident just might need repotting more often. A tree that isn't growing at all is a tree that is dying.

Lisa
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Thankyou Lisa , this tree has given me much joy watching it progress over the years .
Shills some species will defiantly continue to gain mass even in a small pot . If they are actively growing and fertilised and repotted when needed. Some like junipers are obviousaly ALOT slower but I have had black pines gain a inch or more in trunk size in a bonsai pot over the years . I even had a chinese elm in quite a small pot double in trunk thickness over the course of say 7 years that I didn't notice till I went back to old photos . Of course things thicken in the ground a lot faster.
Last edited by Matthew on June 7th, 2019, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

MJL
its in the Tilia family and is a fairly used species over parts of Europe . The do enjoy a cold climate so I think anything north of Sydney maybe too warm for them (no overwintering ).

Return to “Deciduous”