Ginkgo Clump Style

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Ginkgo Clump Style

Post by pureheart »

Hello! I’d like your opinion on this ginkgo which I was keeping for cutting to make a forest... looking at it today without leaves it screamed clump style to me ... what do you think? I’m planning to shorten all the branches and then start ramifications...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Re: Ginkgo Clump Style

Post by Gerard »

At present it looks like one trunk with lots of suckers. In order to pull off the clump one dominant trunk can be a problem, consider reducing the number to about 5 leaving one or two of the larger suckers to grow freely to catch up with the main trunk a bit and reduce a couple of suckers to emphasise the variation in thicknesses after a couple of years adjust the heights in accordance with the thicknesses.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Ginkgo Clump Style

Post by pureheart »

Thanks Gerard, I will let all the suckers grow so they increase in size to match the middle trunk, I want to create a mini flame style ginkgo, it will take many years but I do love the leaves of this species so much and it is a prehistoric plant so fascinating!

Return to “Deciduous”