Gingko Phoenix

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Gingko Phoenix

Post by Jan »

:fc: Gingko Phoenix (I Hope!)
Background,
In the 1990's I collected this sucker from the tree that I had planted where we used to live. It survived the move in 2011 and is a link to our "previous life" on farm.

In September, 2021, it was root pruned and returned to pale blue rectangular pot. Soil surface dressed with moss and gravel.
20210819_115502 Ginko Roots.jpg
20210819_154620 Ginko repotted.jpg
July, 2022 Disaster!
Something, (I suspect a rodent and have put wax rodent blocks into a cordial battle out in the shade house in the hope of eliminating the culprit without birds getting into it), has ringbarked this one. I cut off the top as cuttings to try to salvage something; I’ll leave the base to see if it will reshoot in spring/summer but don’t hold out much hope as it is ringbarked down in to the roots.
20220618_170924.jpg
20220619_162025.jpg
:fc: While I know that it is a bit early yet, I'm pleased to report that the cuttings are opening leaves so, "We live in hope" that this disaster may yet have a happier ending.
20220913_140640 Buds opening.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Gingko Phoenix

Post by melbrackstone »

Phew!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I might have been tempted to go with a ground layer since whatever ring-barked the tree for you had done a good job of the hard work to pretty cleanly remove the cambium. Just needed to finish the process!!
In any case, I hope that the green continues and these cuttings work out.
Good luck with it! :fc:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I would not be surprised to see the stump shoot too. You already know that ginkgo produce suckers as that's where this tree came from. Many of mine do it spontaneously too. There's no reason this one won't sucker now that the top is gone. :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

shibui wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:38 pm I would not be surprised to see the stump shoot too. You already know that ginkgo produce suckers as that's where this tree came from. Many of mine do it spontaneously too. There's no reason this one won't sucker now that the top is gone. :fc:
Yes, Shibui, I've left the base in the pot alone in the hope that :fc: it will shoot from the roots. The "critter" really did a job on it to the point of digging down to chew on down the top of the roots as well as the trunk. I live in hope but thought I'd try all options by taking cuttings, too.
Ryceman3 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:47 pm I might have been tempted to go with a ground layer since whatever ring-barked the tree for you had done a good job of the hard work to pretty cleanly remove the cambium. Just needed to finish the process!!
In any case, I hope that the green continues and these cuttings work out.
Good luck with it! :fc:
I was so stunned by the unexpected damage that I didn't even think of layering it, Ryceman3, no excuses, after all I layer plenty of other material.
Jan
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Jan wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:51 pm Something, (I suspect a rodent and have put wax rodent blocks into a cordial battle out in the shade house in the hope of eliminating the culprit without birds getting into it), has ringbarked this one.
I often have bark stripped from trunks and surface roots at this time of year though not to that extent :o

There is no fruit or veg to pilfer at this time of year and I suspect the newly flowing sap, full of sugars after dormancy, is too good to resist. On the positive side, can make for interesting shari though.

Return to “Deciduous”