Style tips for corky bark elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jbp
Bonsai Age: 2

Style tips for corky bark elm

Post by Abarnes93 »

Hey everyone,

Just after some tips on styling for this Chinese elm. Have had it for a few years now and been letting it grow out with this shape. I have always thought it could be better. I was thinking of making a big cut and even cutting it below the mid section branch but then there would be no branches or buds at all. Or am I better cutting just above the existing lowest branch and shaping from there? Any tips or suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Style tips for corky bark elm

Post by shibui »

One of the good things about Chinese elm is that they will shoot from old wood. In fact they usually produce many buds and not only from the bark but also from the exposed cambium at the cut so you usually also get a ring of new buds right around the top at the cut site.

I can't see much attraction in the 2 thicker trunks as they are pretty straight as well as thick.
The smaller branch does have some things going for it - thinner so adds taper to the tree, change of angle and plenty of side shoots all along.
If you chop off the 2 larger ones you should also get plenty of shoots from the cut sites and one could be used as a side branch if you want one there.

The other option is to chop below the existing branches and wait for shoots. From there you could try for broom style or informal upright depending what grows where.

It is still a long term project but probably worth persevering with.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abarnes93
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jbp
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Style tips for corky bark elm

Post by Abarnes93 »

Thanks heaps for the info shibui have learnt a heap off you on this page.

I am thinking I will do the chop just at that lower branch and see iff that makes sense and iff not I do think I’ll cut it lower than that and go and broom or informal upright. This tree just hasn’t made sense for so long and have been stuck on what to do.

It’s good to know it will bud really well I could even chop below that branch now and hopefully a new leader will form and I can work from there.

Return to “Deciduous”