Smallest of 10

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that flowers
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Smallest of 10

Post by PeachSlices »

Introducing my Tiny Trident Maple as the title says this one was the smallest of 10 available. The biggest one there was 1.5m wide and 1m tall. There must of been something in the air as when i bought this tree it created a chain reaction and all 10 were sold within the week.
The trident is made from a fusing, I bought this tree knowing it was a fuse and it's pretty amazing. a few of the wounds need hollowing out that will be done this winter. I currently have it potted in a 70cm pot but will let the roots grow for another season or 2 before i reduce the big roots at the base so i can fit it into a smaller pot.
350843073_154421380837811_7450732056209943166_n.jpg
350815544_225839246887369_3600865081065410191_n.jpg
Thoughts:
Should i go for the little branched ramified look with a low apex?
Should i grow the sacrafice out for a taller tree? kinda like heron's style?
The tree is fully fused but still scared to cut off unwanted branches as it might cause a worm like deadwood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Re: Smallest of 10

Post by BirchMan »

Wow that's spent some time in the open ground. Decent stock.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by Akhi »

Now that is some material to work with. Given how thick the trunk looks, you should probably start branch development for a cool bonsai in a couple of years, this is suited to a sumo bonsai don't you think not a tall one. Keep updating how you go super keen to see how this shapes up.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I'd opt for a lower apex on something like that.
Given it's in a 70cm pot, growing a proportional, more "natural" top section would make this tree just enormous and impossible to move around without about 3 other people and also a few decades for it to mature. A lower apex also means foliage down low and around the base, which gives you the opportunity to hide parts you might not like and open up/accentuate the parts of the trunk you do.
Looks like a bit of fun.
If this was the smallest one there I think you made the right choice!
:yes: :beer:
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Post by PeachSlices »

Ryceman3 wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 4:39 pm I'd opt for a lower apex on something like that.
Given it's in a 70cm pot, growing a proportional, more "natural" top section would make this tree just enormous and impossible to move around without about 3 other people and also a few decades for it to mature. A lower apex also means foliage down low and around the base, which gives you the opportunity to hide parts you might not like and open up/accentuate the parts of the trunk you do.
Looks like a bit of fun.
If this was the smallest one there I think you made the right choice!
:yes: :beer:
I heard from friends the bigger ones were breaking tokoname pots.

I agree it will have a small apex on it and keep it sumo.

Simon
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

Heres a short video of the wounds of the shohin trident maple filled with concrete. Next task is to scrape the sides and putty them all up to heal and seal over the concrete thats the plan anyway, Should have dont that before it went into leaf.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/eUZXlK3xTbE? ... V8efAcr2Qh[/youtube]

No idea why thats not working i think because its a Shorts video.
Karlneil
Favorite Species: JBP/Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: 1

Post by Karlneil »

Any updates with this trident maple? As I can't wait to work on my very own sumo trident maple this coming winter/spring! (fused project by Shibui)

And would be interested to see if you still have photos of the other enormous trident maples you sold cheers!

-Karl
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

Hi Karl,

I got a mate around that is good at carving my trees for me to tackle all the woulds on the tree from the fusings.

Once the woulds were carved into they were fill with concremate an expanding concrete and i'll be scraping the edges in spring so they all can callus over eventually.

The apex/sacrafice may be cut off this year as i dont want a tall tree i just want it to be nice and compact.

I'm considering a repot into a smaller pot but i dont think its going to be this year, lots of base to take off.

Simon/Tige

Return to “Deciduous”