Tounique layering of Japanese maple.

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Tounique layering of Japanese maple.

Post by peterb »

Hi everyone.
Just a question, I've tried about 3 times now to get a good root spread on my maples by using the wire tourniquet method. Each time I've had 1 root grow and then the bark seems to just grow over the wire. Should I use the ringbark method and bury it. Is that safe on maples. I've had success in air layering maples before. How safe is ground layering with ringbark method. Thanks for any input.
Cheers Peter
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Tounique layering of Japanese maple.

Post by Ryceman3 »

peterb wrote: June 4th, 2023, 2:09 am How safe is ground layering with ringbark method. Thanks for any input.
Perfectly good method on maples. I have had 100% success rate with both Trident and Japanese maples ground layering like that. I wouldn’t hesitate.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Full ringbark is the only method I use, still get uneven roots of done directly below a fork of two or more branches, but on a single stem I usually get a good spread. Like Ryce, 100% success rate
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Nothing is 100% certain but no known problem burying part of a trunk for ground layer whatever layer method you choose.
What size wire are you using for the tourniquet? I've only experienced trunks growing over very thin wire or trees growing very strong.
Uneven roots can be a result of:
  • Unhealthy trees that don't have enough food to make new roots
  • Uneven branch distribution above the layer. Each branch contributes food that flows down the stem. It's that food that helps new roots so if all the branches are on one side that's the side where the roots form first. Horizontal layers tend to form roots on the underside of the branch. Forks seem to grow roots better on the small trunk side but not sure why that happens.
In the years after separation layers tend to grow new roots on the sides that started with less so don't immediately give up on a layer with lop sided roots. Give it a chance or a couple of years.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hey guys, thanks so much for the information. Definitely going to do the ringbark method next spring. I think that it is a bit late in the season here in the UK.
Cheers
Pete
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Your summers are generally milder than ours. I know you had the heat wave last year, but its still only early summer for you.
If your ground layer position is in a shady spot you should get away with doing it now. Just make sure to keep the watering during the heat of summer. You don’t want the roots to dry out.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I would agree… probably worth setting a layer now, particularly if the trees are healthy. Ground layers are less maintenance than air layers, less susceptible to weather changes and heat issues provided they get water and I would think should be successful for you by autumn if you started it in the next week or so. Even in the UK!! ;)
:beer:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks guys, think I'm going to do it this week then. I also have a greenhouse so I can keep it in there after I separated it.
Cheers
Pete

Return to “Deciduous”