Hard pruning Acer palmatum

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Hard pruning Acer palmatum

Post by anttal63 »

Jarrod wrote:Yeah I was thinking about a single trunk line but I think this guy will be grown similar to the famous Walter Pall multiple trunk tree. I'm sure you know the one.

But thanks for your opinion.

Cheers.
Yes i know the one and this definately has the potential to come out like that if left in its current state. ;)
Regards Antonio:
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Ant I think there would be a real danger of the tree dying back down to the roots with such large cuts so low down on the tree, I know what you mean about a single trunk but that would entail some pretty major pruning. I would cut all the trunks as low as possible create a new leader on each of them and then spend some years growing the new trunklines.
Maybe I am too rough with my trees but I have had some die back on palmatums after really hard pruning.
Craig
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

craigw60 wrote:Hi Ant I think there would be a real danger of the tree dying back down to the roots with such large cuts so low down on the tree, I understand now but i cant see it happening if done the right time of the year.( As soon as leaves drop, nice clean cuts, even carved and then sealed well) I know what you mean about a single trunk but that would entail some pretty major pruning. I would cut all the trunks as low as possible create a new leader on each of them and then spend some years growing the new trunklines. Thats what i would do too, especially when you are younger than Walter Pall and could do it better! Just because he has won competitions doesnt mean it cant be improved upon! Maybe I am too rough with my trees but I have had some die back on palmatums after really hard pruning. GO hard or go home i say Craig! :lol:
Craig
Last edited by anttal63 on August 2nd, 2010, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

I am probably a bit old fashioned but I still look to the Japanese for inspiration, I was thinking of those big tall soft tapered multi trunk palmatums with a massive slab for nebari. With the correct root work you could achieve something close to that look with this tree.
Craig

Return to “Deciduous”