Ash Fraxinus angustifolia 11 years from seed

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Ash Fraxinus angustifolia 11 years from seed

Post by Grant Bowie »

Spring growth trim for annual show.

I shortened all growth back as necessary and trimmed compound leaf back as well.
Spring growth.JPG
Trimming back for annual show.JPG
Ready to show.JPG
Spring growth elongated.JPG
Spring growth lower on tree.JPG
This is a very vigorous tree. I will defoliate it in about 4 to 6 weeks and see how its going.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Update.

After the trim for the CBS show the tree went ballistic again. Will defoliate tomorrow.
FA 1 Dec 2013.jpg
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Hi Grant,

Just wondered if you had any tips for growing ash from seed? My bench sits under an ash, and they've been coming up from seed everywhere. I just potted up 5-6 of the stronger seedlings figuring that hopefully in another decade or so, they might look half as good as yours. They sprouted last summer and the strongest one is just pushing its first set of actual compound leaves (it's spring over here) and I'm sure the others will follow soon.

I'm familiar with growing from seed so I'm not asking for a whole primer on that, mainly just anything specific about ash as it's my first time with them. Thanks! :beer:
Cheers, Karl
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

lackhand wrote:Hi Grant,

Just wondered if you had any tips for growing ash from seed? My bench sits under an ash, and they've been coming up from seed everywhere. I just potted up 5-6 of the stronger seedlings figuring that hopefully in another decade or so, they might look half as good as yours. They sprouted last summer and the strongest one is just pushing its first set of actual compound leaves (it's spring over here) and I'm sure the others will follow soon.

I'm familiar with growing from seed so I'm not asking for a whole primer on that, mainly just anything specific about ash as it's my first time with them. Thanks! :beer:
Firstly the only Ash I have experience of is Fraxinus angustifolia(or as it is known in Australia) or common name the Desert Ash.

Basically i trim the roots fairly hard when very young so that you get a good, fibrous root system. Use shallow but wide pots or trays if you can to further train the roots. The top will look after itself as they grow really quickly and will bud back on old, even thick barked wood for many years so you concentrate on fattening the trunk. They will be very thirsty when in growth.Get some initial movement by wire or clip and grow. Fertilise well with both liquid and slow release ferts or whatever.

Alternatively grow it in the ground to get a real fat trunk if you wish. Once again use lots of water to power it on.

Grant
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Grant Bowie wrote:Firstly the only Ash I have experience of is Fraxinus angustifolia(or as it is known in Australia) or common name the Desert Ash.

Basically i trim the roots fairly hard when very young so that you get a good, fibrous root system. Use shallow but wide pots or trays if you can to further train the roots. The top will look after itself as they grow really quickly and will bud back on old, even thick barked wood for many years so you concentrate on fattening the trunk. They will be very thirsty when in growth.Get some initial movement by wire or clip and grow. Fertilise well with both liquid and slow release ferts or whatever.

Alternatively grow it in the ground to get a real fat trunk if you wish. Once again use lots of water to power it on.

Grant
I'm pretty sure F. angustifolia is what I've got here. There is another kind used locally but it has much larger leaves. I trimmed the taproot on all of them so the root growth should be good, and I'll feed and water heavily this summer. Should be fun to see how they end up in a few years. I only have a few spots for ground growing, and they're already taken by eucalyptus nicholii and black pine.

Thanks for the tips! :tu2: :beer:
Cheers, Karl
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Update sans photo.

The tree has performed well this year but insists on putting out lots of micro branches on the right hand side(exposed sunny side) of the lower fat trunk; so I have decided to relent and incorporate them into the overall design.

It has also popped a new branch on the lower left hand side that I will also incorporate into the design.

Photos once the work is done in a few weeks.

Grant
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by lenlen »

Hi Grant, lovely tree. Would love to see some photos, the progress is impressive.
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers

Post by Inspired »

Dayam that is top notch weldone indeed!

I like the yellowy photos and this tree looks better defoliated.
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers

Post by Inspired »

I must have missed it somewhere.. how fats the trunk?
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

I repotted the tree (again) into yet another new pot but am still searching for the right one.

It is a difficult tree to match to a pot! Deciduous and refined yet massive and chunky. Fat trunk and very shallow root system. Finished looking but still a long way to go.

And yes it will always look better deciduous or after defoliation.

However as the tree gets older and less vigorous i will defoliate less or infrequently to maintain its vigour. I will also repot less if I ever find the right pot.

Will go and take a photo of it for you.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Ash 2014 Spring.jpg
I have left some small branches that have popped out on the right hand side and will play around with them in a modification to the design.

I can always remove them if it doesn't work.

I love serendipity.

Pot is 42 cm width on the outside of the pot and the trunk is around 13 or 14 cm at the base.

Grant
loyskirineba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Love all of them

Post by loyskirineba »

:gday: Grant!

What a beautiful tree and lots of useful info there...Thank for sharing.

Cheers,
Carlos
“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”
― Aristotle
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Grant,

I have been watching this progression with interest. I've never been a huge fan of ash trees in general however you have trained a beautiful tree. :clap:
You mention that the growth shall slow down (eventually). Any ideas on when? I'm wondering if I'll still be around to enjoy the tree in its less exuberant middle age! :lol:
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

This tree is now 16 years from seed.

I finally have a great pot for the tree. It was one I purchased in Japan and has just arrived. It is slightly taller/deeperr than the previous pot and maybe 1cm smaller width and depth. It has a great mottled green/blue/dark glaze and a nice shape.
IMG_7358.jpg
IMG_7361.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg
IMG_7365.jpg
IMG_7366.jpg
Pot is wired and ready to go.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

IMG_7367.jpg
IMG_7369.jpg
IMG_7370.jpg
IMG_7372.jpg
IMG_7373.jpg
IMG_7374.jpg
IMG_7375.jpg
IMG_7376.jpg
Grant

Return to “Deciduous”