Chinese Tallow Help

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Chinese Tallow Help

Post by Bretts »

Dam Petra. All I can suggest is keep trying. Some one must be responsible for the area and they should be able to say who is contracted to do the work.

Great stuff with the stock Ron. I got some going from seeds of the street trees in town they germinate pretty easy from the fresh seed.

When I turned up at pottery today Pol had brought in his Chinese tallow and said I could borrow it to see if I could stop the branch die back over Winter. One idea we had was that in the pot the tallow can't handle the cold so the plan is to try a high cold protection during the cold Winter months such as Some very cold places do by storing the trees in the garage over winter. It has spent the Winter in a shade house last Winter but that may not be enough.
You may notice Pol uses a very foreign soil mix than most of us are used to as in it is practically Mud. Before I knew others where having this trouble I thought that may be the cause but it works well for him with his other trees. If it was my tree I would also look at changing this come Spring but I don't think that will be happening as I think he wants it back after Winter and he would not like my mix.
So the only other thing I can try in this time frame is too ensure the tree has lots of available nutrients. Especially the one that hardens cell walls which Is either p or k but I will check agian what elements help strengthen a tree for Winter.
tal.jpg
tal2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: Chinese Tallow Help

Post by Ron »

No wonder you want the tree, Brett. :tu: I haven't seen one as advanced at that as bonsai.

I think your winter could be the problem as they can be intolerant of frost and I think this would be exacerbated with one in a pot. I had a couple last year that went through winter without any problems in one of those Bunnings plastic 'glasshouses' with rubber matting added for a floor.

Return to “Deciduous”