From 6ft to 2ft in 4hrs

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

From 6ft to 2ft in 4hrs

Post by Watto »

What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!
This tree is a Alnus cordata (Italian Alder) I think, it is difficult to be 100% certain when you dig trees. The history of this tree is that I dug it on a property on the road between Goulburn and Crookwell a year or two or maybe three ago. It was about 5 or 6 metres tall (about 20 feet in the old money) and in reasonably poor condition as it had just lived through 9 years of drought. 10 minutes with the chainsaw and the size was reduced to about 2 metres and the branches were reduced as well. A couple of hours digging, followed by about an hour of potting and the job was done.
It was planted into a very large wooden box and given to usual post dig care. The tree really responded and grew, with quite considerable back budding as well. After it was in a healthy state I did some cutting back and I also again reduced the height, only a little bit, but just to see how it responded. It never looked back and appears as tough as nails.
So yesterday, with the help of another member of this forum, Deadwood, we did some major work. This was probably the last opportunity before next season to do such work so that the tree will bud and the new leaves harden off before Autumn.
The weather was a bit ordinary with intermittent rain and these first three photos were taken before our first rain delay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: From 6ft to 2ft in 4hrs

Post by Watto »

At the resumption of play the plan was to cut a V shape down the trunk, the idea being to create a split trunk style.
Another rain downpour and we were back to the shed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

:gday: Watto, good work mate. How thick is the trunk and what is the height now?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

While we could use the chainsaw when it was a bit damp, using electrical tools in those conditions was not part of the plan so we moved the box into the pergola area. Now the box with the reduced size tree still weighed about 100kg so it wasn't an easy task, but where there is a will there is a way.
The next stage was to start the carving process to give the tree some character.
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple/Ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by rch003 »

That's crazy stuff mate
I use the real world to distract myself from bonsai and I use bonsai to distract myself from the real world.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

This is of course only the first part of the carving process where we are trying to set up the tree for its future direction. We did have a plan and we aslo marked out on the trunk with chalk where we wanted to cut and carve, but we did err on the side of caution just a little bit?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Absolutely love the carving watto but i do not think its an Italian Alder. They have slightly serrated edges and are light green not dark. But i have been known to be wrong too :lost:
Last edited by bodhidharma on December 19th, 2010, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

After our first serious day of bonsai training of this tree we were quite pleased with the result. Now it is time to allow this tree to recover and put on some growth. Some blood and bone and a good drink to round out the day (that's for the tree, not for me).
It currently stands about 56 cm tall, and the trunk width is 23 cm, however the nabari is about 65 cm so that will pose a few problems when I pot it, and that will probably be in the winter of 2012 - unless I get a rush of blood!
I hope I will get the opportunity to post a few more progression shots over the coming months.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for your kind words Bodhi. The leaves are slightly serrated, but as I said at the start, I am also not 100% sure of the variety. But it was a great way to spend an afternoon!
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Thanks for sharing your progress with us Watto. :tu: good job i love it. you should be very proud.
Id love to have a go at some thing like that too. Put my little trees to shame.( not really ill get there) :)
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

That's an awesome effort mate! Crazy carving skillz! :tu:

I need to get me ass into gear and organise my powered equipment, strewn all over the place.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
arabicabonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swampy, Bougy
Bonsai Club: -

Post by arabicabonsai »

that is awsome, gonna be a great tree.
Pumped up like popeye on two cans of Spinach!!

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Aussie_Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Ficus
Bonsai Club: -

Post by Aussie_Bonsai »

great tree, its gona have a great fat trunk. can't wait to see it with a developed branch sturcture

Ben
Patience is a virtue.
"He whom is the master of patience is master of everything else"-George Savile
:aussie:
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Wow, what a great illustrated story :D Please do keep posting the progression shots! :tu: I'm looking forward to them!
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I got an opportunity to do some tidying up of this tree and thought you might be interested in the next phase of this project. It grew very well after the big carve and put on quite a bit of growth.
The following photos show the look before trimming and wiring and after. It also shows my prefered viewing side at the moment.
Hope you enjoy!

Return to “Deciduous”