yellow leaves

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
lyn price
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

yellow leaves

Post by lyn price »

hi i have just been given a corky bark elm but sadly the leaves are turning yellow i water daily and i was told to dunk the tree weekly but i am unsure how much sun it needs and i was wondering if being in a windy position would cause this, the moss looks a bit sad to.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Re: yellow leaves

Post by Mitchell »

Giving advice on a tree without seeing it, is like trying to read a book in the dark. :)

When replying to a comment or in a new topic, you will see a tab with "Upload attachment". Take a couple of quick shots and post them up for us, we can be more helpful that way.

In the interim, what mix is it in? What type of pot? Has it been feed recently? :)
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by rowan »

We need to know a bit more about your problen to offer solutions.
1, were all the leaves healthy when you got it?
2, where is it sited now - inside, in the shade, in full sun

I am thinking that you need to get it out of the wind. If the wind is the problem it should actually put out some new leaves when you put it in a sheltered position. They can get windburnt easily. The wind can also dry it out quickly so you need to check the moisture of the soil at least twice a day.

Fortunately I am guessing that this is not a serious problem. Treat it as a learning experience.

Cheers,
Rowan
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
http://www.rowansbonsai.com Yamadori nursery.
lyn price
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lyn price »

thank-you for your reply. all the leaves were healthy when i first got the tree.
i have feed the tree with sea sol, twice since Christmas.
the pot is ceramic 15cm long, 5cm high and 10 cm wide.
im not sure of the potting mix.
i have it positioned outside, receiving morning sun.

thank-you again for your advise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

Cute tree. I could be wrong but I think it is just the tree adjusting to a new environment. I reckon that as long as you can protect it from the wind, read up a bit on bonsai care and keep an eye on the watering you will be fine.

Poke your finger in the dirt every now and then and see that it is damp but not soggy. Water it when the top of the dirt looks a bit dry and occasionally dunk it in a bucket of water for a few minutes.

These are tough trees and I think you will be fine. I suggest you join a local bonsai club for some support and get a book.

Cheers,
Rowan
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
lyn price
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lyn price »

hi will take your advise and join a club thanks
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rowan »

Oh ... and Welcome. You will find lots of great advice and friendly fellow enthusiasts. I hope everything goes well with your tree and you stay around for a while. :wave:
Lao Tzu

Return to “Deciduous”