Poplar as bonsai

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Poplar as bonsai

Post by Rory »

I just noticed 4 of these guys sprouting in my backyard, right at the spot where I had let a white poplar take into the ground. I had neglected the white poplar in the pot, but I remember about almost 2 years ago cutting the thick roots and lifting the white poplar pot off the ground. I'm thinking they are root suckers. They are such lovely trees.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Summer is here and the poplar trees have all fully leafed out around my area. This one has been powering on also. Trunks (..well...twigs) are slowly fattening... :whistle:
031222.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mate I have seen these as Bonsai in the past . A past member of the AWBS up here had one couple of poplars possibly cottonwood and likened it to the Ginkgo biloba only fester growing and easier to work with .
I like this particular multi trunk its quite stunning , I will keep an eye out on its progress .

Cheers ian .
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I love this one KCR! Nice pot too. IMO I don't think the trunks need to thicken too much, I would like to see them age pretty much as is.
Cheers,
Symon
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

alpineart wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 4:59 pm Hi Mate I have seen these as Bonsai in the past . A past member of the AWBS up here had one couple of poplars possibly cottonwood and likened it to the Ginkgo biloba only fester growing and easier to work with .
I like this particular multi trunk its quite stunning , I will keep an eye out on its progress .

Cheers ian .
Hey Alpine! Good to hear from you. Yes, very easy to grow so far. As with Ginkgo I'll be looking for some nice buttery yellow colours in the leaves this upcoming Autumn. Only if I can fluke the right time for a partial leaf defoliation beforehand.
delisea wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:20 pm I love this one KCR! Nice pot too. IMO I don't think the trunks need to thicken too much, I would like to see them age pretty much as is.
Cheers,
Symon

Hey delisea, Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm stuck in the mindset of "thicker is better". Your opinion has me rethinking now. :yes:

Return to “Deciduous”