A few of my trees

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: A few of my trees

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks again for sharing with us Aussies :aussie: The little olive is coming along nicely.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Time to add another tree to my little record of trees. This one is a Juniperus procumbens Nana, and was bought from the deceased estate of the late Neville Coxon about a year ago. Neville was struggling a bit with his trees before he passed on, and the result was that they were not in the best of health. This one in particular had a massive piece of the root ball eaten out by curl grubs, so the first thing I did was repot it into a new mix and just let it grow and recover a bit. Needless to say, it is now in fine health and looking like it is starting to move again. Time for a repot. Here it is freshly removed from the grow-on pot:
IMG_6420_cr.jpg
And then repotted into it's new home. I have trimmed it a bit to try to balance the reduction of roots with reduction of some of the foliage, but it must still be wired and shaped properly. I am really pleased with this tree and I hope that it survives the root reduction and goes on to be a tribute to Neville and his time in bonsai! :fc:
IMG_6428_cr.jpg
Cheers,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

Nice progressions Andrew, good work. :tu:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

HOw is the maple coming along andrew?

Just going thru this older thread again and like the virt Gerard has done on the last pic he posted/
Have you done a root graft on it yet?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Edward Scissorhand wrote:Nice progressions Andrew, good work. :tu:
Thanks mate - slowly and surely wins the race. (+lots of advice and help from others!) :cool:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hi Ken,

The maple took a serious health knock as a result of wind and what I believe to have been a pot a bit small for it. About 6 weeks ago I aggressively repotted it to get the roots into a nice new mix, and also to get it into a bigger and deeper pot. I decided to just let it get its health back for now, and I'll start with refining it at a later date. No rush right! Anyway, here it is hastily photo'ed this morning on the way out the door for work!
Trident Maple.jpg
Cheers,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on September 26th, 2012, 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Here is an update of the little procumbens nana. It will be potted into something a bit more appropriate in the next few weeks.
Procumbens nana.jpg
Here's another one - the photo was taken at a young designers contest at our 2010 Easter show.
IMG_4326_cr_cr.jpg
. . . . and here it is today. It has got a bit fat and flabby (like me :whistle: ), so it's overdue for a trim in the coming weeks. I'll update it once it is trimmed. Notice the little Bodhidharma sitting under there! ;)
Procumbens nana windswept.jpg
Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Legg on September 26th, 2012, 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Good lot of trees you have there Andrew.

Now this is a call from a complete novice but I kinda like the trident without the branch on the first bend. That bend to me is an important part of the trunk line and I think a branch there would detract from that. What do you think? I think maybe I just like trees with an angle change in the trunk before the foliage starts.

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

squizzy wrote:Good lot of trees you have there Andrew.

Now this is a call from a complete novice but I kinda like the trident without the branch on the first bend. That bend to me is an important part of the trunk line and I think a branch there would detract from that. What do you think? I think maybe I just like trees with an angle change in the trunk before the foliage starts.

Squizz
Yip, the more I think about it and look at the tree, the more I think that adding a branch there would make the tree too big for it's trunk. It is a fairly feminine trunk, and adding all that extra foliage mass may be a bit overpowering! Instead, I am toying with the idea of notching the underneath of the first branch on the left and bringing it down a little bit. :lost: Ho hum. Food for thought!

Cheers,

Andrew
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

Andrew, Has anyone in South Africa tried Bolusanthus (African Wisteria Tree) as Bonsai?
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hackimoto wrote:Andrew, Has anyone in South Africa tried Bolusanthus (African Wisteria Tree) as Bonsai?
Can't speak for us all mate, but here in Cape Town, I have seen plenty of wisterias used for bonsai. Not sure how to determine if they are the vine variety or the tree mentioned above, so can't say for sure. I am not aware of this tree as a specific species used in bonsai locally. I'd keep my eyes open though as it does look lovely!
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Just thought I'd drop in an update of the little olive. It will be potted down next season into a little drum.
IMG_7143_cr.jpg
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Andrew Legg wrote:
squizzy wrote:Good lot of trees you have there Andrew.

Squizz
Yip, the more I think about it and look at the tree, the more I think that adding a branch there would make the tree too big for it's trunk. It is a fairly feminine trunk, and adding all that extra foliage mass may be a bit overpowering! Instead, I am toying with the idea of notching the underneath of the first branch on the left and bringing it down a little bit. :lost: Ho hum. Food for thought!

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew,
I feel you should lower the right branch of the trident, not the left one. so you can give it some movement at the same time... But what do I know??? I shall look for some example for you.
Olive looks good!
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Neli wrote: Andrew,
I feel you should lower the right branch of the trident, not the left one. so you can give it some movement at the same time... But what do I know??? I shall look for some example for you.
Olive looks good!
Look forward to seeing what you come up with Neli . . . . . :reading:
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Loving the snapshot of your trees Andrew. A thought that just occurred to me and I thought I'd ask. You seem to not have to much trouble collecting your Olives. Are they a pest plant in and around Cape Town? I ask because they are considered such here in Australia in a couple of places. I know in Adelaide South Australia they are a declared pest and can be found throughout Adelaide, growing wildly in many of the parks and reserves around the City (thankfully ;) :lol: A few years ago I remember it was part of the 'Work-for-the-Dole" scheme that teams of people used to go out and cut them down and poison the stumps in an attempt to get rid of them. Again, thankfully, it didn't work and there are still good numbers of trees for the Bonsai enthusiast to go out and dig up.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion

Return to “Deciduous”