A few of my trees

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Re: A few of my trees

Post by Andrew Legg »

Graeme wrote:Loving the snapshot of your trees Andrew. A thought that just occurred to me and I thought I'd ask. You seem to not have to much trouble collecting your Olives. Are they a pest plant in and around Cape Town? I ask because they are considered such here in Australia in a couple of places. I know in Adelaide South Australia they are a declared pest and can be found throughout Adelaide, growing wildly in many of the parks and reserves around the City (thankfully ;) :lol: A few years ago I remember it was part of the 'Work-for-the-Dole" scheme that teams of people used to go out and cut them down and poison the stumps in an attempt to get rid of them. Again, thankfully, it didn't work and there are still good numbers of trees for the Bonsai enthusiast to go out and dig up.
Hi Graeme, I hav e two sources for olives. One is a farm where there are plans to bulldoze an area for grazing, and we have permission to dig/save what we can. The other is a local stud where I go once a year and collect a tree or two in exchange for doing a bit of alien clearing. Olives are local, so they are certainly not clasified as weeds!

Cheers
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Andrew Legg wrote:
Neli wrote: Andrew,
I feel you should lower the right branch of the trident, not the left one. so you can give it some movement at the same time... But what do I know??? I shall look for some example for you.
Olive looks good!
Look forward to seeing what you come up with Neli . . . . . :reading:
Darling,
I looked and looked...and all the trees I found with similar shape and slant...had the right branch like yours...So that must be the correct position...Newbie here :(
Then I checked C Seronio's book...and he also says the same... :tu:
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Neli wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:
Neli wrote: Andrew,
I feel you should lower the right branch of the trident, not the left one. so you can give it some movement at the same time... But what do I know??? I shall look for some example for you.
Olive looks good!
Look forward to seeing what you come up with Neli . . . . . :reading:
Darling,
I looked and looked...and all the trees I found with similar shape and slant...had the right branch like yours...So that must be the correct position...Newbie here :(
Then I checked C Seronio's book...and he also says the same... :tu:
Hey Neli, I guess that's the wonder of bonsai - as much art as horticulture, and whilst the horticulture bit is reasonably tied down, the art bit is entirely subjective. Cool huh! :tu:
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Andy,
should your tree be considered slanting or informal upright...or both?
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Neli wrote:Andy,
Which one Neli? As I understand it, an informal upright's apex should end pretty much directly above it's nebari. A slanting tree has an apex that ends up off center, meaning that a line you draw from the base to the tip has a definite angle from vertical, but ending above the pot lip height. I see no point in this type of clasification other than a description of a tree, and I don't see the point in forcing a tree to a style. The style should be incidental and the tree determines where it ends up. :-)

Cheerio,

Andrew
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Andrew Legg wrote:
Neli wrote:Andy,
Which one Neli? As I understand it, an informal upright's apex should end pretty much directly above it's nebari. A slanting tree has an apex that ends up off center, meaning that a line you draw from the base to the tip has a definite angle from vertical, but ending above the pot lip height. I see no point in this type of clasification other than a description of a tree, and I don't see the point in forcing a tree to a style. The style should be incidental and the tree determines where it ends up. :-)

Cheerio,

Andrew
I mean the maple...now I see it is not slanting...then you can bring the branch a bit down...I like that maple of yours...
I dont believe in the tree growing the way it wants...almost like the hedge method :| ...not for me...I like control!!!! :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Baby olive update - into it's final pot yesterday. Still got a lot of tidying up of foliage to do, and some wiring to get branches just right, but progress . . . .
IMG-20130922-00761.jpg
Happy days!

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Looking very nice Andrew. :tu: I like your tree very much.

Is the photo taken from what you consider the front? And if so, why is the pot on an angle?

Keep up the excellent work. And will follow this post to see your progress.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Loooking good Baba!
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Great tree and I adore that pot.can you provide any details on it please
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

dansai wrote: Is the photo taken from what you consider the front? And if so, why is the pot on an angle?
:lost: how can it be on and angle? it is a round pot?
Do you mean the feet? if so, you can use either the foot at the front or the Gap between them.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

dansai wrote:Looking very nice Andrew. :tu: I like your tree very much.

Is the photo taken from what you consider the front? And if so, why is the pot on an angle?

Keep up the excellent work. And will follow this post to see your progress.
Thanks mate - got the angle slightly wrong, but it was a bit of a squeaze so I'll get it just right on the next repotting once it is used to the smaller pot. The intended front is the traingular series of bumps.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Neli wrote:Loooking good Baba!
Thanks Neli
Isitangus wrote:Great tree and I adore that pot.can you provide any details on it please
Thanks mate. Pot is from Stone Monkey Ceramics in the UK. Cost me about £35. Andy is no longer doing bonsai pottery, but you could try and see what he still has left.

The tree actually needs to lean a bit more forwards too, so some work to do still.

Cheers,

Andrew
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

kcpoole wrote::lost: how can it be on and angle? it is a round pot?
Oops. Optical illusion with the shadows. Now I see it's round. Then I didn't. :shock:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Hi All,

A few updates today and this weekend. The olive (3rd pic on Page 1) is filling out nicely and is now in it's new home. Still has a few problems like the reverse taper at the base, and the branches should really be brought in a bit. I'm considering lopping off the top as well, but here it is now.
Olive.jpg
The cascade juniper has also made it and is looking nice 'n wooly! Time to get the scissors in there and start cleaning out a bit before it starts to shade itself out.
Juniper.jpg
Cheers,

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on August 29th, 2014, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”