Zelkova Japanese Grey bark Elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Re: Zelkova Japanese Grey bark Elm

Post by time8theuniverse »

I'm trying to remember if the hormones in the toothpick method would affect each other through the wood of the trunk. :lost:

I think that double stacking a root hormone on a airlayer would be less effective than if they were worked on separately. I can't quite think of the mechanisms but despite the area application of the hormones on the toothpick the hormones travel through the plant to more than the area its applied to, and its the mechanical force of the toothpick that stimulates the root growth.

You'll note I haven't really answered the question. Only suggested that one toothpick method be applied at a time. Would this fit in with your experiences?

:lost: I need a cup of tea after that effort of in recall.
Patience is often a surprise.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

time8theuniverse wrote:I'm trying to remember if the hormones in the toothpick method would affect each other through the wood of the trunk. :lost:

I think that double stacking a root hormone on a airlayer would be less effective than if they were worked on separately. I can't quite think of the mechanisms but despite the area application of the hormones on the toothpick the hormones travel through the plant to more than the area its applied to, and its the mechanical force of the toothpick that stimulates the root growth.

You'll note I haven't really answered the question. Only suggested that one toothpick method be applied at a time. Would this fit in with your experiences?

:lost: I need a cup of tea after that effort of in recall.
Hi Mate , i think you have confused yourself more-so than me . I have set a tooth pick layer on a layered off plant with its own roots that is 12 months old since being severed . I have also set the tooth picks on the original trunk to improve the narebri . No doubling up setting a toothpick layer and base root work on the same plant . The confusion is in your interpretation my friend . Root improvement work using the tooth pick method on the main original trunk , "black pot" . Pot layering using the tooth pick method on the trunk in the "mustard pot" which is a layer taken from the original trunk now 2 years ago , no confusion 2 pots , 2 plants , 2 different jobs .

Cheers Alpineart
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

:whistle: Ah! I see. Don't know why it didn't work.
Patience is often a surprise.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi mate , neither do i . Its strange that a layer worked and the root improvement didn't considering the strength of the main tree ??? .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Time to take the layer off and trim the main tree back real hard
100_0430.jpg
100_0432.jpg
100_0434.jpg
100_0435.jpg
I have taken a lot more than planed but wasn't happy with the location of the secondary and tertiary branches .
100_0436.jpg
100_0437.jpg
Hopefully with some serious feeding and the layer removed the energy can be concentrated into producing the back budding required . Potted into a large pot for extra root run and spread this layer will have a very nice fissured/knarled trunk due to the plaiting 3 trunk effect, the top will be layered off in due course for a twisted 2 trunk making for a different trunk again .
100_0438.jpg
A quick trim with the garden scissors and both are back on the benches
100_0439.jpg

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

New pot , new home
P1090549.JPG
P1090550.JPG
P1090551.JPG
P1090552.JPG
, this was re-potted yesterday and trimmed this morning
P1090553.JPG
. Set for another season , now the Cook has ordered an RDO, "Required Day Off" :D , Karen is on long service leave and is fed up watching me work on walls and tree's :whistle: , I planned to start digging but i had better listen to the Bride for a change ;) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Nel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Adansonia spp.
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Kevin Nel »

I like the second pic as a front with a double leader it will make a nice broom
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Kevin Nel , mate there is a lot of work to undertake before it makes the grade . I'm planing on quite a few thread graft this season , the roots are just O.K , hence the wide round tray for some root run . Less work in a broom with zelkova's due to the growth habit .

Cheers .Alpineart
Kevin Nel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Adansonia spp.
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Kevin Nel »

Hard work pays off...

I had a basin full of Celtic Australis seedlings that are 5 years old now, started training them to get the trunks straight and get the roots right for making a broom group planting. If they all survive the drastic rootwork I did they will be nice trees....OOOOOOOONE DAY!
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

Where are you planning the thread grafts Alpine - going round 2 on the Nebari? I'm thinking not for the branch structure you have got there already - that's convincingly natural for mine. Certainly for the "front" if thats the angle in the shot with the tube of Sikiflex. Or are you seeing something beyond the grasp of mere mortals such as I (and those not lucky enough to see this tree in the flesh)?
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Figs, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by GreenThumb »

alpineart wrote:Hi Bodhi , mate i did for a little while ,for medical reasons , that's whats buggered the bones . Seriously i have good time management and find it difficult to sit idle . Times a wasting and i have no time to waste . Even with a buggered leg i still manage to make good progress i simple move the stools to the plants , now with all the trolleys around the place , it makes for a good assembly line GMH would be proud of . If i don't do it , it won't get done .

Cheers Alpine
If there was a 'Like' function on this site, I would have pressed the button. Good on you Alpine!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Kevin Nel , hard work does pay off eventually , good luck with your group planting .

Hi Steve B , Mate i plan the place a few threads in amongst the apex to balance the canopy , very few side shoots on this tree , more vertical above and below the branch and die back is rather constant . Just going to persuade it to play ball and to aid thickening of the new leader .

Cheers Guys . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Green Thumb , i recon i need an "under the thumb" or "under the pump" emoticon :lost: .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Another year on and another trim done . I have cut this back hard this season so it should have plenty of finer shoots throughout the branches
P1100799.JPG
P1100800.JPG
P1100801.JPG
P1100802.JPG
P1100803.JPG
P1100804.JPG
, hopefully i will keep on top of the trimming during the growing season .

Cheers . Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is its first trim for the season ,
P1110294.JPG
P1110302.JPG
P1110301.JPG
P1110298.JPG
P1110297.JPG
taking shape , be it slowly but that can be a good thing . Thickening of the branches is what I'm aiming for without the growth getting leggy and out of control . This will now be selectively trimmed when needed for the next few months . A good sprinkle of Rustica Plus will see it rage for a while .

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Deciduous”