Clerodendrum

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 0

Clerodendrum

Post by klaery »

Hi guys,
I have posted this one before but not in its own thread. Thought I would start one off for this tree.

Here it is towards the end of summer.

And how it sits now.

Future plans are to let that right sacrifice branch do its thing. If that doesn't work quick enough then I will look at doing an air layer and getting two trees :tu:

The main problem with this one is when I started with a stump early last spring I damaged the right side of the tree. There is now a strip of deadwood up the right side for the first third giving the illusion of reverse taper. If the tree heals over this deadwood then taper should be better and I will be very happy :)
Last edited by klaery on July 28th, 2014, 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: Clerodendrum

Post by rodm »

Mate, don't know much about this species. How long has the tree been in development??? If not that long 2-3 yrs I'd be given it a bit TIME like 3-4 more yrs :2c: ;)
Cheers Rod
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by klaery »

rodm wrote:Mate, don't know much about this species. How long has the tree been in development??? If not that long 2-3 yrs I'd be given it a bit TIME like 3-4 more yrs :2c: ;)
Cheers Rod
Hi Rod, thanks for looking :)
It was a pot plant that I bought and cut back to a bare stump 10 months ago (at the end of the straight section). They grow pretty quick!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I think it's coming along well.

Clearly the lower half of the trunk lacks a little movement.
It's not the end of the world though - the image is pleasing and improving.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by klaery »

Thanks Boics
Yeah not much movement but hope to make something out of it with improvement :tu: Figured at least as a slanting tree it wasn't so obvious :)
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I just love these trees - such fast growers and wonderful bark on them ! I find this tree a bit conflicting - the main trunk is fairly straight but then then apex has a lot of movement as does the branches. Have you considered having less movement in the branches and apex ?
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by klaery »

Bougy Fan wrote:I just love these trees - such fast growers and wonderful bark on them ! I find this tree a bit conflicting - the main trunk is fairly straight but then then apex has a lot of movement as does the branches. Have you considered having less movement in the branches and apex ?

Best trees ever for beginners like me :)

You know when I posted this and looked at the pictures properly I thought the same thing about the apex. Funny thing is that I hadn't noticed it before in real life, probably because when I am not working on the trees I am usually looking downward at them and it's less noticable. I am thinking I will cut back that top section and have it proceed with minimal and angular movement in the spirt of the trunk. Thank you for pointing it out :)

I am enjoying the branches with a little bit of movement for now as it makes them look much older to me. In my head I don't feel the same issue that I do with the apex (once you pointed it out). This may change once I have a new apex and a little more experience though and the beauty is that it won't take a decade to grow new ones if/when I cut them off :tu:
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

If the first branch on the right is a sacrifice branch, if you grow it for 2 years or so until the trunk bulges there and chop it correctly you'll get nice movement at the base of the trunk. Then you can leave the apex as is.

Just my 2c

I
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

I've done a quick little photoshop ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by klaery »

Hi Eusto,
Thanks for the virt! First virt I have had done on one of my trees :)
That is where the foliage is headed for sure. Regarding the sacrifice branch the idea is for it to thicken everywhere below the branch, mainly by healing over the deadwood down the right hand side of the tree. Not sure it will create movement but time will tell :)
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

No worries.

Just seeing you are from Brisbane too. I have 5 or so Clerodendrums. Possibly my favourite species. Doing a vert is no problem.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

I dont see this tree thickening much in this pot.
If it is a fast growing tree, I would chop it above the second or max above the third branch, if you want a better tree and not just OK tree.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by klaery »

Could well be right Neli but I wan't to see what can be done in the pot :tu: Regarding cutting I will develop it first as is but will possibly cut back in the future by air layering off the top.

Keeping it in the pot obviously slows it up but I have lots of other long term projects so it is nice to have at least one tree in a bonsai pot haha.
Last edited by klaery on July 31st, 2014, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

You dont need to remove it from the pot...I like the tree...it has nice bark, but very little taper and the trunk has a very long straight section.
I know it will not thicken much in this pot...that is why I suggested a trunk chop.
Why I advised that?
I have been in this situation many times...avoiding an early chop. I continued developing the tree...and wasted lots of time just to realize as I grew in bonsai, that it is irritating me terribly and had to chop it. Meanwhile I ended up regretting I did not do it in time,
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/

Return to “Evergreen”