Diodora or atlantica Cedrus.

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Diodora or atlantica Cedrus.

Post by Bush bunny »

DSC02315 Close up of smaller cedar.JPG
DSC02314 Two cedars.JPG
Just before I start, looking closely at the Himalayan Cedar I noticed small bugs. Tiny but they moved. I picked off some, but the more I look there are others. I'll spray with Pyrethrum when the wind drops. They seemed to like the new growth.

Anyway, bought from Bunnings, no labels. The lady who orders the cedars, reckons and wrote on the larger one, Cedrus Diodora, but the smaller one she thought was a C.atlantica? Blue Cedar. Now with new growth coming on the smaller one,(It had been cut) the same colored needles as the larger one, I reckon it is a small C.Diodora. I like them both.

What do you think? The new growth on the smaller cedar seems to be drooping. And not from lack of or too much water.

Black bugs, must get the books out. :reading:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Diodora or atlantica Cedrus.

Post by Matthew »

Larger cedar defiantly looks like deodara the small one i cant help with sorry . I would definatly start put some movement in these at a young age as when they get older its alot more difficult . Cedars can be very slow also so a large training pot will help for several years .
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Yes I agree, but I'll wait until the weather is warmer in Armidale. Thank you for replying.
Now I will have to attack those little black bugs, what ever they are. I thought of planting them together in a training pot. I have lots of big pots. See how they go. I rather like the drooping branches actually. I know I am inexperienced with bonsai, but I tend to gravitate to the clip and grow methodology rather than wiring. And towards the Penjing style or rather Chinese influence rather less formal (Japanese bonsai) well that's my mentality now, but it may change. :aussie: :aussie:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

The drooping habit is a natural character of them especially as young branches extend . With pruning and wiring the can get quite compact (not as compact as alantica ). They will tolarate more heat than most other cedars but dont let dry out completely for long .
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Thank you Matthew, yes I like both of these Cedrus genus'. I popped a sprinkling of potash and charcoal on the surface. (From a wood fire) I let them dry out a bit, before watering. Not fully dried out though.! They are partly sheltered at the present time, where they get warmth but basically shaded from full sun, only a little bit of indirect sunlight. They seemed to have so far thrown new end shoots, so obviously like where they are. The reason for this that I have experienced so far, that trees brought up from Sydney, are grown in warm greenhouses, like Norwood. Particularly the figs. :aussie:
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

I have noticed some atlas cedars appearing in Bunnings of late so your smaller cedar could very well be an atlantica variety? There is a pendula version that has drooping foliage.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

They both look like Deodar Cedars, They are showing signs of insufficient light, elongated pale growth, so get them out into morning sun for a start and then gradually harden them to full sun which is where they should be.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Thanks everyone, yes will move them out a bit gradually. I sprayed with P but tomorrow with a magnifying glass and tweezers, good light, I'll go through the tree like a fine tooth comb.
The bugs seem to like where the needles are close together, the new growth, and leave black stuff might be eggs. But the adults move, and they appear to be black fly. Very tiny though, if I had not got so close to take a pic I probably wouldn't have spotted them. And some on the trunk. I think. I rubbed them off. I think I'll give them a re pot soon, just in case there is somethings in the root structure. I know they are sensitive but I will be gentle. Non of the other trees have them so far, I reckon they came with the tree and with the warmer weather for Armidale, decided to hatch. If they are crawlers of the scale family, well I will keep an eye out on my other trees nearby.
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

If they are flying they are fungus gnats that live on the organic material in your potting mix. They are also a result of keeping the plant inside with no air circulation and no sun. Typical in greenhouses but rear outside. The maggots of them also eat fine feeder roots.
Last edited by Hackimoto on September 17th, 2014, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Thanks Hakimoto, but they aren't flying, they are so small I haven't seen any wings, the size of a pin head, they do move. I'll take your advice. I think this is a one off, but I'll keep an eye on both of them. Actually the Deodara, was on its own next to another pot plant I bought. I checked it but couldn't easily spot anything. :tu:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

A old poor pic of my large formal upright deodara . This thing gets pruned several times a year . It is due for repotting next year . The branches are notoriously bad for wiring in that they take some time to set and may try to revert back to there original position and need rewiring several times . tree is just on 1meter. They like full sun and to remain alittle dry. Fert i just use osmocote on just about everything several times a year with fortnight liquid fert if i remember . I think this was started in the early 80,s if i remember :lost:
rsz_imag0823.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Whoa, you are a master. :worship: :aussie: Don't think I will live long enough to accomplish something like yours. I wish we lived nearer to each other and I could come and look at your collection.

Return to “Evergreen”