CLERO Short back and sides

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

CLERO Short back and sides

Post by MelaQuin »

Did a demo in September on loaned trees and bought 2 of them from the owner. The clerendendron was about 40cm when I started but had been allowed to 'do its own thing' for a couple of years and it had 3 major branches but no real apex... but a nice trunk. I cut it back considerably at the demo and after having it home for a week took the sidecutters to it and stumped it. In retaliation it sat on the bench and would have thumbed a nose at me if it had one. 3 months later nature took the upper hand and it shot first one than a second shoot.... right where I wanted. How good is that!! Within several weeks the apical shoot is 20 cm tall and thickening rapidly and the side shoot is about 12 cm long and thickening even faster.
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg
I know this species is nicknamed Indian Privet but it is still amazing how fast it grows. I am planning on doing more assiduous wiring on this tree than my past cleros and get it to resemble those beautiful ones at the AABC Gold Coast convention. And I well know how fast they grow and how much pruning they need. Once the branches are more solid I will trim the cut back and naturalise it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: CLERO Short back and sides

Post by MelaQuin »

3 months after the stumping and it has had its first cutback with the branching hardening off well. Still early days but with a great deal of guidance it is going to be a nice tree in a couple of years.
IMG_0945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Evergreen”