Metrosideros excelsa

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Metrosideros excelsa

Post by banksia »

Hey Guys!
Spent yesterday arvo repotting my N.Z Xmas Tree as it's due for it's annual repot. This tree is really vigorous when it comes to root development over the span of a year!. So this time I've decided to over pot it in the hope I can get 2 years development out of it before I have to root prune again.
Soil mix used for this was basically 25% coir , 25% fine gravel , 25% standard bonsai potting mix and 25% akadama.....it seems to have loved this in the past.
Now all it needs is a light pruning and with abit of luck we'll have some flowers at the end of the year :)
Is there anyone else out there using this material as I've not seen too many around. I find them to be quite forgiving and pest resilient (sp?)
If so? I'd love to see some pics.

Cheers!!
Anthony ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: Metrosideros excelsa

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Anthony,
I come from way up north in NZ where these trees make the most fantastic shapes all along the coastal cliffs. Unfortunately they are much loved by brush tail possums so have been getting a bit of a thrashing for the past 30 years or so.
Your tree is really good nice bark texture and starting to develop some air roots. you will have to post a pic of it in flower.
Craig
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Thanks Craig!
Over the 6 yrs I've had this tree it's flowered on a few ocassions. Unfortunately the local native birds are straight on to it! :x
I forgot to put anything in for size reference so to get some idea : the tree stands 600mm high and at it's widest point the
nebari is 9 inches. The "nebari" is an odd one though. Not quite sure about the bulge....could have been layered sometime
before I got it. The aerial roots come and go and never really eventuate into anything sustantial.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for that your pohutukawa is beautiful and much bigger than I imagined. In NZ when they flower the tuis which are honey eaters go crazy for them so they must be full of pollen. The aerial roots on the trees in NZ are huge clumps of fibre, they never seem to make wood like the figs and often don't even reach the ground . I would imagine this species would make great clump style and cascade trees as that is their natural habit along the coast.
Craig
Josh7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Maples
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: None, but looking...

Post by Josh7 »

Tree looks great, mate. From working with mature trees, you'll probably agree that you really do need to keep the water up to them. Apart from that, looks like you're on a winner!

Josh
Do i have a plethora of pinatas?
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Interesting because I spent this morning root pruning my NZ Christmas Bush although mine's a dwarf Metrosideros tomentosa 'Dalese'. I got it a month ago for $2 from the 'abandoned orphans area' of the local nursery. I wasn't going to touch it until spring came but when I picked the pot up today to check for dryness, the pot fell apart because of the brittleness.

I've never seen such a root-bound pot plant before. It was just a solid unmoveable mass. I decided I had no choice but to root prune it. I ended up having to cut the root mass with a full size pruning saw. Altogether in the end I think about 2/3 of the roots were cut off - I'm really keeping my fingers crossed because for some reason I'm really attracted to the plant.

I didn't have to do much to the top only trim some new leaf shoots because I think the nursery must have chopped those branche stems you see not long ago and it was only just starting to get some new growth under my expert (read Seasol + Miracle Gro) care. ;)

One question I really need to ask because this was my first-ever root prune (and out of season I'm sure): after repotting it in a large plastic pot with Ray Nesci's mix, I've moved it to a completely shaded place for at least the next two weeks. What watering/feeding routine should I follow if any? I really want this plant to survive.

Cheers, Ron.
Last edited by Ron on February 22nd, 2010, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

G'day Ron!
As I was saying, they are rampant when it comes to root development. I did exactly what you said...used a saw!! :twisted: I always do with this tree, then let it sit in a basin with a Seasol solution for a good hour. I then tease the matted mess loose and further trim. They seem to have their best growth period going into Autumn...so just wait and see if yours takes off in the coming weeks....it wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers!
Anthony ;)
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Thanks, Anthony. So a Seasol treatment tomorrow will be good for it then.

And then fingers crossed for the next few weeks.
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples, cork oaks
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Wauchope

Post by SteveW »

Anyone know when to prune / not prune them so they flower?

Return to “Evergreen”