European Olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

European Olive

Post by MelaQuin »

I love olives and got this one from Bonsai South late last year. A lot of development needed but I absolutely love the way the bark sags in 'fat rolls' under the branches and at the base of the trunk. I think I saw a relationship between this trait and my own figure. It amused me. At the moment I am growing and thickening branches and the front will be just off centre so the 'belly button' is not what the eye focuses on. Mind you, but the time some decent branches and foliage pads develop it will diminish but at the moment..... The lower branch is a bit curvy for the tree but once it thickens this should soften.

This species is quite different from the Mediterranean and Sth African olives I have. I am looking forward to another couple of years development and when I get the Dremel out to carve a bit on the top of the left stub, I will indent the Belly Button a bit. But the folds of bark make me smile every time I see them.
Olive Euro 2008-09 5.jpg
Olive Euro 2009-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: European Olive

Post by anttal63 »

lee you're too funny; nice material there, i look forward to its future in your hands. :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Evergreen”