Big old Olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Big old Olive

Post by alpineart »

This was collected a couple of years ago, at around about 3 m high with a 500mm base , the aged bark was something unusual around the collection site .It was the only one of it kind all the other had smooth bark .I cut it of with a vintage bow saw with extra set on the teeth so it would clear the resin/sap and not jamb the blade
100_9093.jpg
.It was flat bottomed with the chainsaw and some rough movement carved into the upper section then potted into this 400mm planter tray and left for a season . It has continually suckered up at the base however i have managed to develop quite a few branches in the couple of seasons i have had it
100_9095.jpg
.Today while out in the garden and in a carving mood
100_9096.jpg
i gave it a work over
100_9098.jpg
trim and wire .With all this done i thought i might as well paint a bit of lime sulphur on the dead wood .Being too heavy for the wife to lift the pics don't show it at its best , but i'm a happy chappy .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Big old Olive

Post by alpineart »

100_9109.jpg
100_9110.jpg
100_9111.jpg
100_9112.jpg
These pics were taken before lime sulphur was painted on . No decision has been made on the front as each side has its own unique character . More carving will be done to hollow out the dead mid section .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on November 12th, 2011, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

Hi Alpineart, I noticed that you are using a very shallow pot for this big fella!! As I have little experience with olives, is this normal? That is to say, from your experience, do olives tolerate shallow pots??

Thanks

John
Last edited by Jester on November 12th, 2011, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jester
The trunk was 500mm thick when i cut it i wanted the widest base possible so flat cutting with the chain saw it is about 40-50mm thick and 350mmx 300mm base this has powered on since it was planted . The only down side is the constant suckers , however even a bulb/sumo base will sucker up .on collection i have either flat cut to fit a container or left like a bulb and planted . Both methods work , and yes i "CAN' kill olives they can drown and they don't like being dry after collecting .I drowned all the last 10 i collected by leaving them in water for 3 months . Just a little trial to see if they would handle it .

I have ring barked a specimen 4 years ago and its still growing :?: . I have tried to take cutting using various methods and hormone powder or not and all have failed :?: .All my collected trunks/ bases are in pure river sand {not from the coast because it contains to many salts} for the first season and about 70mm in total depth wether flat cut or bulb ..After roots appear i have potted some in potting mix {pine bark and soil blend} as this one is all the other are in my scoria bonsai mix .A wet bed or sand tray helps maintain the moisture .I use roof decking iron and fold the ends up to form a tray/dish and fill it with river sand . Sit the pots in this and it takes care of itself even when i get a little forgetful .

The ferts might build up but constant watering dilutes it and less water is wasted and i fert a little less .I have JBP in sand trays ,most of my stock evergreens , junipers , pines , deciduous , bonsai , trainers and potted plants are all treated the same with the same ferts unless a problem arises that how it will happen as has for the last few years at least 90 % in sand trays or scoria wet bed they all love it / Hope this helps .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well as i'm back on my feet , this got a re-pot into a 500mm bonsai pot
100_0145.jpg
. I have defoliated it and removed all the suckers .
100_0149.jpg
It has been neglected since the original post and its a wonder it still alive .
100_0146.jpg
Its baked away in the heat void of regular watering , now it time to take a little care and work it in the right direction . This is old and the only olive i have collected from the same area with this old flaking bark , all the rest have smooth to patchy rough bark even with 600mm-800mm bases .
100_0147.jpg
My plan is to remove the shari's to make sure the flat head bore grubs are completely removed and carve the area's out just a little so hopefully in the years to come it will be in keeping with the original shari now grown over . I did ask a member who is familiar with olive's and he suggested i could be around 45-50 years old .I have search for several klms around the collection area to find no others with this type of bark .

Cheers Alpineart
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

great specimen to work on Alpine. Look forward to seeing your progress with this tree....
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Brian , this was collected from the same area You and The Hacker played in . Its a very good specimen and hopefully i will start to appreciate it a little more . It really needs a shallow 500mm round pot to allow the roots to extend , failing that i may have to carve the wide base into grooved sections to allow the roots to actually be shown .I only just managed to get this into the 520 x 370 mm pot , but the root had to be turned down to fit it .

Cheers Alpine
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Mate when you said you were going to work on some smaller Olives... I hope you didn't mean this one! :lol: :lol:

Looking great! Really cannot wait to see this one develop, especially due to the marvellous bark! Please do post updates on this one :D

-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi MoGanic , mate it is a little one , i do plan to do a few tiny ones , its either that or i go all out on 2 man tree's . The bark was the main attraction on this one , pity the trunk never had some movement but can't have it all in 1 package .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

So , I got a little excited with the new tools but i think its an improvement ."Tortured Olive" or 'Screaming Torment",
P1080457.JPG
either way i like it , and it did fill in a lazy couple of hours between sorting tree's for the show on the weekend .

Cheers Alpineart
bonsaiLov
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: FIGS
Bonsai Age: 28

Post by bonsaiLov »

looks good
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well i haven't killed it yet .
P1090808.JPG
P1090809.JPG
P1090810.JPG
P1090811.JPG
Time to unwire it , then do it all again as the wires are biting in .

Cheers . Alpineart
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Coming on very nicely mate.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Graeme , with a fresh wire job and a wee tickle here and there it can grow on for another season . This year I won't neglect it .

Cheers . Alpine
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

I reckon the last pic would make a nice front, not too much deadwood and the base is still fat from that angle.

Return to “Evergreen”