Big old Olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Big old Olive

Post by alpineart »

Hi Andrew F, I'm never completely fixed on front , as tree's progress over time fronts change depending on foliage growth , features , mishaps and outlook . I re-asses features continually and everyone is different and has different ideas, thats the beauty of living art .

I have to find a new front for my flowering plum due to the storm on Tuesday which kindly delivered a 3 m steel batten through the shade house . It took the apex and first main branch off the trunk , a few other trainers need re-designing as well . Never know whats around the corner .

Cheers . Alpine
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

alpineart wrote:I have to find a new front for my flowering plum due to the storm on Tuesday which kindly delivered a 3 m steel batten through the shade house . It took the apex and first main branch off the trunk , a few other trainers need re-designing as well . Never know whats around the corner .

Cheers . Alpine
Hi Alpine,
That's a blow mate. Was the Plum a old tree? Hope you will be able to do a redesign. :fc:

Regards Ray
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Ray M , if i can't redesign it I will definately hang up my tools .The apex was smashed off however a stub remains .I may have to make it into a broom or pretend its just another collected trunk and start again . It has a bit of age to it however its only been a few years in training .

Cheers . Alpine
Hatch
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Hatch »

Hi Alpineart,

Nice work on the old tree!!

I have access to some commercial olive trees that are tagged for grubbing out. These guys have the usual smooth bark but I was inspired to have a crack at older trees when I saw an olive Bonsai in Perth. It had a relatively straight trunk but what the artist did was to stimulate budding up the trunk with jin to accentuate it like yours.

My trees are still in the ground with full canopy and I am wondering what is the best way to get the water shoots pushing up the trunk rather than from the base.
I was thinking of scouring the bark just above where I want to promote the water shoots whilst the tree still has a canopy. I could cut the canopy down, keep on rubbing the basal shoots off and hope for water shoots on the trunk. This could all happen whilst the tree is still in the ground with all the roots pushing but I think it would only lead to a massive flush in shoots from the base.
The trunks are probably 300-400mm in Diameter with a large base.

Your thoughts

Return to “Evergreen”