Newbie needs help with Cotoneaster bonsai

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
paulyyy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Newbie needs help with Cotoneaster bonsai

Post by paulyyy »

G'day guys I got given a Cotoneaster Microphyllus bonsai last night for my bday and have not a clue in the word on what to do pruning wise and what not...below is a pic of it at the moment can some one please tell me where I go from here? Thanks.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by paulyyy on March 5th, 2013, 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Newbie needs help with Cotoneaster bonsai

Post by shibui »

Hi Paulyyy,
Pic did not come through. OOps pic is there, my computer jsut running slow tonight, sorry
Don't worry too much about pruning at this stage. Just concentrate on learning to water well and keep it alive then, later on, just cut off any bits that grow too long or you don't like the look of. It will not suffer if you do not prune or prune 'wrong' they will grow back as long as you can keep it alive and healthy.
Last edited by shibui on March 5th, 2013, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paulyyy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paulyyy »

shibui wrote:Hi Paulyyy,
Pic did not come through. OOps pic is there, my computer jsut running slow tonight, sorry
Don't worry too much about pruning at this stage. Just concentrate on learning to water well and keep it alive then, later on, just cut off any bits that grow too long or you don't like the look of. It will not suffer if you do not prune or prune 'wrong' they will grow back as long as you can keep it alive and healthy.
Thanks for the quick reply mate so as for watering and sunlight how much is to much? Also how do I get the trunk to bulk up a bit? Sorry for the questions but I'm a total noob haha
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

G'Day Paul and welcome. Join a bonsai club and take it along. It's easier to show you how to water after seeing how well the mix drains. If you want to bulk it up why don't you either buy another one or propagate a cutting. Then you can see how a big pot or grow box works. Oh and keep reading too :tu:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Cotoneaseter microphylla thicken very slowly. There are 2 ways to get thick trunks - 1. patience and 2. plant into a large pot or in the garden and wait (a bit less waiting than option 1)

I work on more sunlight is better. I would keep cotoneaster in full sun but you need to match watering to heat (sunlight). Most find it is better to have shade from the hottest sun until they have mastered watering.
Water also depends on the potting mix it is in. Finer potting mix holds more water and can be overwatered but it is almost impossible to overwater a good potting mix. You will need to watch the tree. Check the mix and see whether it is still wet at the end of the day. Water when the potting mix is no longer wet, not just the surface - scratch into the soil mix to see, check the drain hole and maybe even lift it out of the pot occasionally to see how wet or dry the whole rootball is. After a while you will get into a routine and it is easy.
paulyyy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paulyyy »

So in keeping this bonsai outside will rain effect it eg. overwater it? Also should I keep it in the pot it came in or move it to a bigger pot? Thanks for all the help so far guys
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

You've pretty much gotta keep it outside mate.
Almost all the time..

Indoors for a day or two once every few months is OK but the tree needs sun and fresh air to grow and flourish.

As far as overwatering goes personally I've found underwatering is always a larger concern...
In my experience I've discovered the hard way that it doesn't take much to cook a plant to death..
On the other hand I'm yet to water a plant to death..

You can always put a bamboo skewer, barbeque match or wooden chopstick into your pot.
If this is completely dry you will definitely need to water..
It will work as a good indicator of whats happening in your mix.

Good luck.
Last edited by Boics on March 5th, 2013, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Agree with Boics.
Should be ok with rain. depends on the potting mix it is in. You won't know until you have had it a while to check how quickly it dries out.
Moving to a bigger pot will be personal preference. Many would keep it as is to develop slowly. some would also get another plant to put into a larger pot and grow fast to develop a better bonsai while still keeping this one as is. Others would pot up to a larger size and grow this one (but no bonsai in the meantime???). there are a great many ways to achieve good bonsai so expect lots of (sometimes conflicting) advice. The best place to start is your local bonsai club.
paulyyy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by paulyyy »

Thank you to everyone for the very helpful information...my bonsai has taken up residence out the back on a besser block so hopefully it flourishes out there :tu:
Therealsteve

Post by Therealsteve »

Hi,
Just wondering how your bonsai is going. I just brought one which is 5 years old and 4 inches tall.
Last edited by Therealsteve on January 6th, 2017, 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Therealsteve,

Paulyyy hasn't logged in for nearly 4 years and i doubt very much he will receive your request.

I suggest you photograph your little tree and start a new thread with any questions you may have.

AND Welcome to Ausbonsai.

Kevin

Return to “Evergreen”