Metrosideros - NZ Christmas Bush

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Metrosideros - NZ Christmas Bush

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

I was given a New Zealand Christmas Bush many years ago by my neighbour, it was the recipient of many an experiment over time (with no idea, hey, I still have no idea, but my aftercare has improved somewhat). I played around with it for a bit but it did spend alot of it in a corner doing nothing. I decided that I would play around with it more last year and this is its progression thus far (still undergoing experiments lol)
NZXBk.jpg
*Sept 2012
NZXBa.jpg
*Dec 2012
NZXB7Fed13a.jpg
*Feb 2013

Come May, upon inspection I noticed the surface soil had been disturbed and after looking at it closer, I noticed a couple of curl grubs.....bastards!!!!!
NZXB3Mary2013curlgrubinthesoil.jpg
*not happy jan
NZXBagoodcurlgrub.jpg
* good looking curl grub

So at this stage, I took a chance and barerooted it:
NZXBbarerooted.jpg
*Still some roots so they didn't get all of them.

and then repotted it in fresh soil:
NZXB3May2013repotted.jpg
*repotted May 2013

Come July, it was still growing:
NZXB5July2013.jpg
*July 2013

I was pleased to see that the barerooting in May had no adverse effects on this at all, although I am not going to suggest for anyone to do it. Come August, I had itchy fingers and decided to attempt to style it with what I had:
NZXBA.jpg
*before (August 2013)
NZXBB.jpg
*after

September, still growing:
NZXB29Sept2013.jpg
*late Sept 2013

and this brings us to yesterday, I removed the wire a fortnight ago and gave it a trim yesterday.
NZXB 28 Nov 2013.jpg
*late Nov 2013

I am happy with how it has responded and progressed this year, I cannot ask for more (perhaps flowering but that is being a bit cheeky, its yet to flower for me since I have had it and I shall not be greedy). Give it few seasons to ramify and then I will be a really happy chappy.

The pot and planting angle are merely due to a) a pot that was vacant at the time of the repotting (I would have put it into a nursery tub but at the time didn't have the soil.....sad but true. and b) the angle was a result of how it sat after being secured to the pot lol. However the pot will serve its purpose, I will tie those ariel roots that have taken to the trunk, it will help the nebari in time.

I intend to defoliate and wire it up come late summer to see what it does and will post an update of it then.

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bebbas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: How do you choose??!!

Re: Metrosideros - NZ Christmas Bush

Post by Bebbas »

Hi David,
Nice tree mate. From what I've been told about this species, you won't get it to flower if you keep trimming it. I don't think they like defoliation either. You need to let them go a bit if you want them to flower, kinda like a Callistimon. There is only really 1 window a year that you can cut/trim them and then you need to leave them alone.
How can you ever succeed if you are afraid to fail?
fae
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by fae »

Many thanks David for the progression photos and commentary on the tree development.

My neighbour is selling her house and I have permission to dig whatever I like. A house ripe for a rebuild.

She has three of these trees so I will have a go with at least one.

Thanks

Fiona :fc:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi DavidWilloughby, mate i have a Metrosiderous Tomentosa Variegata, unfortunately unlike yours it is a multi trunk specimen . While i have re-potted it into a bonsai pot it is untrimmed or trained at present . Not one to hack and chop unknown species :whistle: i have decided to leave it hopefully getting some summer flowers so i can at least see the cycle of the flower /growth during this time before butchering it .

Those grubs are a major headache around here so i will keep a close watch on mine . I certainly like this tree and can see a very nice specimen in a short period , especially when it is in full flower .

Thanks for inspiring me to keep at mine , rather than tossing it in the back of the rack .I still need to do some serious research on this species before any further work .

Cheers Alpineart.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

thank you for the kind words.

Bebbas, thats very handy information about the flowering. I have had this tree for well over 15 years and have yet to see a flower from it yet. I am not too worried to be honest, it still has alot of growing to do, but will be sure to keep what you have said in mind for when I do want it to flower.

Fae, this was formerly a nursery plant so I wouldn't have a clue on how they go when collecting them as far as yamadori goes, although this one seems to be pretty resilient, its my only one so it could have been just dumb luck that I haven't killed it to be honest. Good luck with the collection of them and please keep us posted on how they go.

Alpine, thats a great method in waiting to see the flower cycle first to take notes before getting stuck in. When I get more of them I might just have to do the same. When I saw the grubs, I took a chance at barerooting it when I did in early winter and repotting it into a diatomite mix and it hasn't stopped growing. Again, might just be a little luck involved with it. When the time comes for you to work on yours, please post it up as I would love to see it.

Cheers

David
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

David have you thought of packing under the trunk between the roots some moss after pocking few little holes in places where you want roots. It will fees the area under the trunk and create illusion of wider trunk.
Lovely progression and tree.
Just an idea:
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

been a while since I updated this one, here is the most recent shot of the tree. I retained the Ariel roots for it as it is a characteristic of the species and it can always be removed at a later stage if it becomes undesirable for me.
NZXB 16 Jan 2016.jpg
*16 Jan 2016

A few more years yet.

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my nellie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: MyBonsai.gr - BonsaiClub.gr

Post by my nellie »

Hello everyone!

May I ask "DavidWilloughby" permission to post my question in your thread? I'm doing this in hope that I will receive some response/advice.

I have bought one metrosideros just for the cracked aged look of its bark. This is the first time I even hear about this species.
I have removed dead and unnecessary branches and on digging into the surface I saw lots of hairy roots just underneath. The tree is not exactly root bound into its pot but it looks aged/old and it seems to me that it has an abundant root system.
I have read on the internet whichever info I could trace BUT I have some questions though...
1) At this time of year in Athens temperature ranges between 25C and 14C and in my country good weather conditions continue until later on. Is it safe to make the first root pruning and consequent repotting now?
2) If negative, then should I repot the tree coming spring?
3) At what extend is it safe to root prune?
4) Any other suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
Kind Regards,

Alexandra
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Nellie, i have worked this tree in various conditions due to its needs since doing something with it and it all depends on the aftercare.

It is time to push this material, I have defoliated and rewired it today. It is well overdue a repot, that will happen soon and at that time I will bareroot it, here are the progressive photos:
NZXT 27 December 2016 A.jpg
before]
NZXT 27 December 2016 B.jpg
defoliated
NZXT 27 December 2016 C.jpg
rewired

Any thoughts, comments, critiques are Welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

David
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Mine died. :reading: Apparently they need water. :?
It fell off the bench and I didn't notice until it was too late. :o
Oh well, off to the Nursery and start again. :clap:
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I had no idea they grew such strong aerial roots! What a tough little plant, and love what you're doing with it David!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Always like a DW Thread.
This is no exception!!

Looking forward to some flowers!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi David, how'd this plant cope with the defoliation?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

A lovely tree and pot David and coming along nicely. Always wanted one of these guys when i saw them in flower in NZ.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Graeme, that is no good. The fact it fell off the bench...'Think of the BONSAI :o :o :o :p the poor thing, but I do know the feeling haha

Thank you Boics and Mel, you are too kind and I hope to do this material justice in the long run, before it passes onto its next owner.

Bodhi, you and I have had our differences before, but I am truly humbled with what you said. Thank you very much mate, that means a hell of a lot.

It has been very slow in it's response since defoliation this time and its because it hasn't been repotted, its lacking in many areas but its what I wanted, to slow down growth. I will repot it in the next month, give it the full beans with complete barerooting and tame some of the aerial roots to get them into forming a better base. I'll stop dribbling dynamic lifter and post an update.
NZXT 26 July 2017 A.jpg
As it sits tonight, 26 July 2017.
NZXT 26 July 2017 B.jpg
*the largest leaf on the plant currently.
NZXT 26 July 2017 C.jpg
*the smallest leaves on the tree at the moment.

A few more years of solid growing, regular repotting and lot of feed and I can see this getting the ramification to go that next step.

Any thoughts and comments are most welcomed.

Cheers

David

Return to “Evergreen”