Olive stump bud growth question

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Olive stump bud growth question

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Hi all,

I cut this stump off my sister's olive tree. It had been cut back (ineffectually) by her landlord and was sprouting like mad (I think that his intention was to kill this larger trunk of the multi trunk Olive tree).
IMG_0214.jpg
I cut around the base at a 45 degree angle to increase the surface area of the place where roots will come from and to give them a better angle of emergence, soaked in Seasol for 24 hours, painted the cut around the base with rooting hormone and repotted on 3 January 2015. After reading many post on here and also the Wiki on how to collect a yamadori Olive, I cut all of the branches off prior to repotting (there were still on at the time of taking the above photos, but were removed prior to repotting).
IMG_0215.jpg
Ten days later, on 13 January, I have a few buds bursting from the location of the cuts.

Whilst I had hoped that the stump would succeed and bud back, this seems a little fast - I am sure that there is no new root growth to support such buds and that they must be shooting from reserved energy in the stump.
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
Given that we are told to remove all growth on our collected Olive stumps prior to repotting and given that we are told that it can easily take months for an Olive stump to root and shoot new growth, should I be rubbing off these buds?

I know that there are a lot of people with collected Olive experience on here, so look forward to hearing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: Olive stump bud growth question

Post by Brian »

That piece has no taper and thats what I look for when digging olives. You need a piece with taper and a nice buttress.
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

i havnt collected an olive before, though from general experience it would be better for the tree to get rid of most, not all, of the buds. you want the stump to be actively growing for it to put out roots, but not more than it can handle, if that makes sense. might be a good idea to use this opportunity to start some major branch placements to make room for future cuts, seeing as though it is quite a straight trunk.

the main thing for now though is to try get it to root, and not lose too much energy on unnecessary growth.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Brian, I plan to carve the trunk, so taper isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

My experience with olive is only remove the growth on collection. Once potted any shoots that grow should be left. All mine have survived well
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

New shoots on your cutting will help it grow roots so I'd leave them to grow. Only time will tell if you've been successful.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Mount Nasura »

So this is actually a massive cutting? As opposed to flat cutting the base of an existing tree. Look foward to a positive update.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Thanks Sammy and Shibui for the constructive advice.

Yes, Nasura, this is actually a large cutting and not a sawn off base. I cut off right at ground level, but didn't think that digging up the yard of my sister's rental property to get to the root base would have been appreciated...

Updates to follow in due course.
TielmanRoos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TielmanRoos »

I would also like to see the progression of this, although I can view the pictures. Thank you.

Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

If it does propagate, in true olive fashion it'll shoot all around the base. So let those grow on and the taper issue will soon disappear.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Just to rule this off - no luck. I guess that I would have needed to get in lower and get some of the base. Unfortunately, it is from a tree at a rental property, so I wasn't able to dig it up good and proper.

No harm, no foul.

Return to “Evergreen”