2nd attempt, now with 5 times the Jade!

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Bones6966
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

2nd attempt, now with 5 times the Jade!

Post by Bones6966 »

So since the untimely death of my first Bonsai (Rip. Buddy).I have decided to try something a bit more on the forgiving side. My research has brought me to the Jade tree. I acquired 5 clipping. They are in tiny pots and i havent a clue on when or how large they should be before i start to train them or get them in a bigger pot or a bonsai pot.

http://imgur.com/AWP51V9

They are about 4-5 inch tall as of now and have not started developing bark yet, and are void of any branches as of yet.

Any advice on how i should let this play out would be great.
I would like to try out a few different styles on the various trees.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: 2nd attempt, now with 5 times the Jade!

Post by Jarad »

Neat little starters you have there.

The problem with bonsai is that the trees take a bit of time to grow. Can you get your hands on more trees to play with until these little guys have grown a bit?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Bones6966
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bones6966 »

Jarad wrote:Neat little starters you have there.

The problem with bonsai is that the trees take a bit of time to grow. Can you get your hands on more trees to play with until these little guys have grown a bit?
I can be patient, i just want to form a game plan early on so i know what i want to do and have time to think it over. i found someone selling these guys and more for 3 dollars each :clap:
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

+1 on Jarads' advice.

Time is your friend and will show you how they develop... So, the way I see it, the 2 basic options right now are to leave them for a while until they need to go into a bigger pot OR find out if you can keep them small as tiny Bonsai/trees...

They will grow faster and bigger in a larger pot which will produce more branches and more styling options. As a general rule, trees aren't put into Bonsai Pots unless you are finishing them (tweaking their design).

So, if you're like me, who's just started and very very excited about "doing" something with your trees, get more otherwise you may end up killing yours with love and attention.

Sorry Bones, Bonsai is a slow hobby and takes time, but it can be so rewarding!
Cheers
Elmar
Bones6966
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bones6966 »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:+1 on Jarads' advice.

Time is your friend and will show you how they develop... So, the way I see it, the 2 basic options right now are to leave them for a while until they need to go into a bigger pot OR find out if you can keep them small as tiny Bonsai/trees...

They will grow faster and bigger in a larger pot which will produce more branches and more styling options. As a general rule, trees aren't put into Bonsai Pots unless you are finishing them (tweaking their design).

So, if you're like me, who's just started and very very excited about "doing" something with your trees, get more otherwise you may end up killing yours with love and attention.

Sorry Bones, Bonsai is a slow hobby and takes time, but it can be so rewarding!
Thanks for the advice. I will leave them as they are for a few weeks and when I feel they are ready I'll get them in some bigger pots. If by next spring they have grown some branches I can evaluate what to do next.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Bones6966 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I will leave them as they are for a few weeks and when I feel they are ready I'll get them in some bigger pots. If by next spring they have grown some branches I can evaluate what to do next.
Hey Mate,

I don't want to put you off the hobby, but it really takes quite a bit of time unless you buy trees that have already had a few years to grow.

Also, the growing characteristics of jade is a tad slow. That's why we say acquire more trees to play with and experiment on until your little ones are ready to have some work done on them.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Bones6966
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bones6966 »

Jarad wrote:
Bones6966 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I will leave them as they are for a few weeks and when I feel they are ready I'll get them in some bigger pots. If by next spring they have grown some branches I can evaluate what to do next.
Hey Mate,

I don't want to put you off the hobby, but it really takes quite a bit of time unless you buy trees that have already had a few years to grow.

Also, the growing characteristics of jade is a tad slow. That's why we say acquire more trees to play with and experiment on until your little ones are ready to have some work done on them.
No worries, like I said just forming a bit of a plan on these guys. I am looking for another local tree to work with but in the mean time trying to pick your guys brain for how I should go about helping these little one grow up nicely. Thanks again.

Return to “Evergreen”