Clerodendrum Inerme -where from here?

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

G'day all,
Thought it about time I put up something I have(n't killed yet). It's been identified as a Clero Inerme (see thread), but while I'm able to trim it back and (seemingly) able to get back budding, I struggle with where to go from here!
So please feel free to give me some ideas!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777657.433440.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777671.466879.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777689.065870.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777707.501918.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777881.607167.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438777897.522695.jpg
All I've done (apart from not killing it), is pinch out the tips, and that has made it Back-bud (awesome). The stem is about 20mm at the base and the tree to the top of the main branches are about 250mm (green growth extends another 140mm above that).

I like pic 3 as my front as it gives the most movement and thickness to the nebarie... You can see the new shoots exploding (and I mean that - they're about 1 week old) on the RH branch.

I'm looking for styling ideas so, go hard! Nothing is unwanted, I'll pick what I like best! Looking. Forward to your suggestions...
Cheers
EZ

https://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data ... inerme.htm

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elmar on August 5th, 2015, 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Ok, I see now why others struggle with picture order...
Here is another shot of the favorite front:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438778674.272610.jpg
Looks better when you look down (even tho that's a No-No!):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438778730.190132.jpg

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elmar on August 5th, 2015, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Clerodendrum Inerme -where from here?

Post by Bougy Fan »

Question is how much bigger do you want the trunk ? I have had great success with trunk fattening on these by letting them root through the post and using sacrifice braches. I would cut back hard when it's a bit warmer to the first branch to give movement and then about 2 inches above that. It will carry on as if nothing has happened. The only thing to be careful with is they don't like being in too much shade and having wet feet. I read that here a few years ago and found out recently that it is indeed true :palm:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Well I'm not really sure, so I'm really looking for some suggestions...
Looking at the second picture on my second post, I was tempted to cut back to the first 'kink' of each of the 2 branches after the first fork. There's some back budding happening there.

Looking more at a Shohin sized bonsai.
Another thought was to remove the trunk/branch to the left of the first fork for taper but I find that the tree then doesn't look as good as it does with that fork...

Still trying to get more back budding lower to further condense the overall tree. That's more or less what/where I'd like to go UNLESS I am presented with a better option... ;)

Cheers
Elmar
Last edited by Elmar on August 6th, 2015, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

I'm with Tony, you gotta make some big cuts and then let it go.

It's got some nice movement straight out of the ground in pic 5. Have you had a dig around the nebari?
Last edited by Jarad on August 6th, 2015, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Jarad wrote:I'm with Tony, you gotta make some big cuts and then let it go.

It's got some nice movement straight out of the ground in pic 5. Have you had a dig around the nebari?
Not yet, was about to when I noticed a couple of babies poking up on the lady edge (same pic). Will see if j can get them out with a spoon...

So, when you say cut it back hard - cut it where? To the first bend? The first fork? 20mm above soil level (:))...

Cheers
EZ
Cheers
Elmar
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

If it was mine, I'd be tempted to wait for a little warmer weather (end of this month) and then cut the second (smaller) "trunk" at about half way between the fork and the bend. Just chop off the "other trunk" somewhere a bit higher (maybe somewhere around 2" (50mm ;) ) above the fork of that trunk line. I'd then repot it into a much larger pot (250mm), feed it like crazy and let it go mad for a growing season. After I had some mad thickness to the trunk line, I'd remove the "other" trunk, as it had been simply a sacrifice branch all along (did you see that coming? :lol: ) These things grow like weeds down here, they grew stronger in Darwin and I'm willing to bet they will grow Gangbusters for you as well. Large cuts heal over well and quickly as well. Good luck with it and remember, anything you cut off - stick it in a pot. ;)

Here on the Fraser Coast I have to repot my Clero's twice a year, so watch for the pot filling with roots. They do it quickly.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Graeme wrote:If it was mine, I'd be tempted to wait for a little warmer weather (end of this month) and then cut the second (smaller) "trunk" at about half way between the fork and the bend. Just chop off the "other trunk" somewhere a bit higher (maybe somewhere around 2" (50mm ;) ) above the fork of that trunk line. I'd then repot it into a much larger pot (250mm), feed it like crazy and let it go mad for a growing season.
So... something like this?!:
Clero1.jpg
Any specific fert? Or dynamic lifter/Thrive/ or other high 'P' fert?!
Graeme wrote:After I had some mad thickness to the trunk line, I'd remove the "other" trunk, as it had been simply a sacrifice branch all along (did you see that coming? :lol: )
I've tagged what I understand to be the Sacrifice branch, correct!?!? But, No, I didn't see that coming! was enjoying the movement of that section but wasn't overly convinced so am happy to explore your suggestion...
Graeme wrote:Good luck with it and remember, anything you cut off - stick it in a pot. ;)
Doing it!! :aussie:

It's my first year with this one (and I have a spare but its too leggy - just in case) so I'm looking forward the
Graeme wrote:Here on the Fraser Coast I have to repot my Clero's twice a year, so watch for the pot filling with roots. They do it quickly.
@Jarad:
Had a look a little deeper - sorry to report no thicker nebarie! But there is a side root coming off that isn't terribly attractive, so I'm thinking that following Graeme's advice to thicken the trunk and then do a an air/ ground layer to encourage radial roots and remove any of what it may be 'lurking underground...

All I know is this one os responding very well/easy to trimming/pinching! So it looks like a good one for me ( :lol: )
Cheers
Elmar
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Yep

Yep
Good

If you keep repotting (and root pruning when you do) you'll get a decent nebari naturally mate. Don't worry to much just yet.

Good? They are great. People go on about Privet being quick and easy Bonsai, but I reckon these things are just as good, if not better. You certainly do not need to be any Master to turn out impressive Bonsai while using this little beauty, that's for sure. Hell, even I've had a few good ones over the years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Graeme on August 17th, 2015, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Update:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444607639.014256.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444607654.515220.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444607675.315597.jpg
Put it into a training pot and removed a lot of top soil to expose an interesting Nebari...

Cheers
Elmar
Last edited by Elmar on October 12th, 2015, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

I really like all that extra movement you've found under the soil. It draws attention away from the straight section.

Have you decided on a front?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Yer, was a fantastic discovery, I admit. For the front I quite like the last pic, needs a bit of a turn to bring the flare of the nabari around a bit more. Need to take a better pic of it to show it off more...

Next step, once it survives this, would be to remove the thick branch on the left after the fork.

Not sure how to initiate lower branching, but cutting back at the top certainly made it sprout!

I feel it needs to come back over to the right (based on the last pic)...

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Elmar,

Do you always keep this in a water tray? I was as they like seem to like a lot of water, but I stopped though after reading somewhere they don't like wet feet. Just wondering what your experience is with it.

These are great trees. I had lost interest in mine but after seeing Tess's ones at Bonsai Northside recently I'm turning that around. :tu:

Cheers,
Nigel

EDIT* Bougie Fan had written it in this thread. :palm:
Last edited by NAHamilton on October 12th, 2015, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

G'day Nigel,
No I don't keep it in the water tray. I pulled it from its old pot last night and today was going to be a bit of a stinker so I thought I'd make sure it's not going to get too much of a shock and that is why it is in the tray... See how it is tonight, give it some Seasol and just wait and see.
I plan on taking the test away (feel like a shiny surface is just like a mirror - burn the underside of the tree so NOT a long term solution!).
I have plastic rectangular trays coming. These I will fill with gravel (like Pup has done) to create an ongoing humid environment and hopefully prevent my trees from drying out this year!!! Let's hope I've learned something...

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Thanks for the reply Elmar.

Not sure if you've had a look at this site but here is a link to one that rekindled my interest in them.

http://www.bonsainorthsidenursery.com.au/photo-gallery/

Cheers,
Nigel

Return to “Evergreen”