WHEN YOU HATE YOUR ELM

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

WHEN YOU HATE YOUR ELM

Post by MelaQuin »

Trained this catlin elm from a bonsai size sapling. It started out as an informal upright in a group setting. Odd tree out so it was removed and was still young enough to bend into a cascade. Seemed a good idea. Later on found an interesting rock and established the roots on the back side of the rock and the branching and foliage on the front. It was coming along but it didn't grab me and I was glad when it was selected for a two year sojourn at the Canberra arboretum so I could put its future out of my mind.
Elm cascade 2010-09 1.jpg
Elm cascade 2010-09 2.jpg
Elm cascade 2010-09 3.jpg
But it came back!

I was going to sell it but I had tried before and no one was interested and in its current condition it would be the same reaction. So I studied the tree, trying to figure out what the problem was. Okay, the cascade was the problem. Placement, movement, branch position.... it just didn't work. And it hid the rock which is quite nice. One flash of the side cutters and that problem was solved. Because of the extended roots I put it in a semi cascade pot but that didn't totally improve the tree.
IMG_2236.jpg
And blessed mystery, I ratted through my impressive collection of handmade pots and I found the PERFECT pot: size, shape, depth, colour, glaze. It doesn't get any better and it seldom gets that good. Thanks be to Mudlark and Penny Davis' potting skill. Did a bit more root pruning and got the tree settled and I am VERY pleased. This baby isn't going anywhere but here.
IMG_2246.jpg
Now I know The Critics are going to carp on the fact the direction isn't well defined, the foliage pads are scatty - but hell... give this catlin elm a break.... this is Day Two of a whole new ball game and the upcoming months will see those styling problems sorted and rectified and what was once a full cascade with an image problem is going to be a semi cascade with class and style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelaQuin on September 11th, 2015, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: WHEN YOU HATE YOUR ELM

Post by Elmar »

Love the development, Mel.
I'm glad to see those with more experience go thru something I feel I go thru almost with every tree...
Thank you for sharing and allowing us a look-in to your design and development process...

Like where you're heading.

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Nicely done. A fresh look at something can often result in a vast improvement, as has happened here.

Should look quite good once the pads are developed a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Thanks for sharing; I am learning a lot from photo progressions like this. Fantastic new direction!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Is it just my poor eyes or are the pics to small?

I find it hard to see any sufficient detail?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

Nice result ---if possible try to shift it so its not growing directly on top of the "mountain" but slightly to one side so it looks as if it is clasping not resting-- would be more natural and dramatic. :imo:
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Looks like you gave it a complete overhaul and it looks much better for the effort.

Return to “Evergreen”