Last years Christmas tree

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Last years Christmas tree

Post by Rintar »

Ok so this is last years Christmas tree given to my 4yo it has sat up with the others and been watered now and again but largely neglected. It lives a year on and is time I did something with it. I have no clue where to start or what to do all advice appreciated. Though im thinking trim out the dead and wire all branches outward and select some from their... ImageImageImageImageImage
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Last years Christmas tree

Post by alpineart »

Hi Rintar , mate I too had a couple of these purpose bought after Crissy a few years ago , you can pick them up for $ 5 in January when the shops are stuck with them. I hacked into them selecting which branches to keep and cut out the rest . I have left them for a couple of years neglected except watering . I tested my new toy out a couple of days ago "hand held hedge trimmer" and ripped around one to tidy it up , done the job and sprouting new shoots now .

I wired for a full season using loose hook and hold wiring or some use/call them guide wires to lace it down to the pot . Remove wire and let it grow for another season then begin to style and shape .

I hand picked a twin trunk un-styled , and a single trunk I clipped roughly a few days ago , strong sun not necessary extreme heat will burn the apexes quite severely buggering up your design .

Rip into it and good luck .

Cheers Alpine
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Re: Last years Christmas tree

Post by Rintar »

Thanks Alpine, will do. I think I got it for about $4 at the green shed Christmas eve when the son told me he sent a secret message to Santa for his own Christmas tree. Cheeky bugger but I got him one just before they closed.
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

Return to “Evergreen”