Small Leafed Jade

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Small Leafed Jade

Post by Matt S »

This morning I finally got around to trimming this Portulacaria afra. It's a big bugger - 700mm and because they store so much water it weighs more than my back likes, so I don't often get to trim it properly and get a good look at it.

Summer is the best time of year to trim, propagate and repot Jades. The hotter it is the better they respond. Here in Adelaide you'll see them growing in large pots on people's front porches as they are really low maintenance. I've even seen them as hedges. Everyone refers to them as Jades but it's not really an accurate name as it's not related to the true Jades (Crassula ovata). However both come from South Africa and have similar growth habits. I've been told the locals call it Elephant Plant or Food as the Elephants like them for their high water content, and the bushes grow back so quickly.

You can trim and wire these guys just like any other species and the branches set fairly quickly.

In the wild they grow as an unstructured bush so I reckon you can choose any style you like as there is nothing in nature to emulate.

Propagation is easy in summer. Cut off a suitable branch, slash the base with some vertical cuts around the circumference, stick it in some medium, give it a water and then wait. Don't water it again until new shoots appear or the roots can rot off. I'd be wary if you live in a frost prone area, as they really don't like frost. A friend of mine had one in the National Collection in Canberra and was horrified to see it with black patches and poor growth, so she bought it home again where it quickly recovered.

This tree needs a better pot and a better planting position. This year I have changed the angle and length of the branches to give it a stronger direction so now the pot is all wrong. Apologies for the poor quality pic. I'll try again later when the light is better.
Large Jade.jpg
Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Small Leafed Jade

Post by Watto »

Good bonsai, I like it. A bit cold in the winter where I live though.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason57
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine

Post by Jason57 »

Hey Matt

great tree man!! Iove the movement in this!
I found wiring tight curves hard with these a little tricky
as branches are soft but break easy. clip and grow is best I think!
beautiful work mate!!
JaredN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by JaredN »

Awesome tree mate!
Have a few tiny ones growing myself, don't see a lot of people playing with Jades. Question - how many nodes before you trim?
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Jared,

This time of year I only let them get to 2 or 3 pairs before I trim. If you have the time do it every week and you can get really small tight leaves.

Matt.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Mine grow OK in Canberra, covered with builders foil on frosty nights, or just under the eaves, next to a warm brick wall. Probably shouldn't be able to get away with it, but what the hell...

Gavin
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Grown these in Melbourne and Adelaide, respond very well to clip and grow I tend to clip to one pair of leaves continuously throughout the growing season. This year even tried defoliating one tree and the result was magnificent all new leaves much smaller and all the same freshness. To bend suggest scoring the trunk as the cambium( I think) in trying to heal those wounds helps to set the bend in place.

Return to “Evergreen”